Author Topic: Autopsy (**Updated - pics added to first post)  (Read 12390 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Autopsy (**Updated - pics added to first post)
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 08:52:48 am »
I'd say the failure occurred because of the abrupt angles of the cut in shelf and because that area is susceptible to lots of stress due to the leverage of the limbs. Your tiller looks good and the bow is plenty long enough to handle your draw.  On your next bow, try a built up arrow shelf instead of a cut in shelf or add more wood (overlay) to the back of the bow for more support.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 09:02:23 am »
Your failure was definately from the cut in arrow shelf. Doing that just creates too much of a weak spot. I very rarely cut in an arrow shelf anymore.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:37 am »
...also, the wood broke along the grain. The break is relatively short and diagonally across the bow at the handle. When building board bows it is very important that the grain runs the length of the bow or if it does have run offs they are not at a sharp angle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Innocente

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 09:49:24 am »
thanks guys, i feel like i got a better idea of how this one failed.  i appreciate all of yer insight.
i'll post me a successful non exploded bow here soon! (or exciting new pics of a new and different failure!)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 10:00:25 am »
Yep, cut out arrow shelf is the culprit.

I prefer to glue an arrow shelf on. I glue on a square piece of wood and shape it to to be an arrow rest.

One thing I see with a lot of glued on rests it the builder leaves a lump under the handle leather. If you feather the added wood into the grip your rest will look like part of the grip once the leather is on.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 10:15:03 am »
Good job, Scott. I missed it. Looks like the cut in shelf was the culprit. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »
If you want to cut and arrow shelf remember the fades have to be gradual and extend into the actual bow.  that way it stops bending in the handle area.  I also make my shelf no deeper than a 1/4" from center on board bows.  i put a shelf in almost every board bow i make.  they are handy.  I started one this morning.  all the red oak bow talk yesturday got me going.  check out this link to sames bamboo/ipe build.  he explains glue on risers very well.
http://www.poorfolkbows.com/ipe1.htm
i borrowed this from sams site. 

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 02:01:42 pm »
Well, glue on an overlay (and maybe don't cut the shelf too rigid next time)!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline sulphur

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 02:12:05 pm »
medicine is that a purpleheart board bow???  looks great.  How do you do that leather handle wrap??

radius

Re: Autopsy
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 02:42:15 pm »
red oak is NOT premier bow wood.  I mean, it can make a bow.  But there's plenty of more forgiving wood out there.

It is not necessary to always put on backing.  Tillering technique, suiting the style of bow to the material at hand, and due patience all go a long way to helping you make a bow that does not break.

not true not true

native people have used it for a long long time
not everyone has access to yew,osage,ipe etc.
native folks have used what was best in their regions for more than one millenia
just because youe have "too much yew" there is no reason to tell someone what they are using is not a good wood for making bows
hell i have read where some master bowyers think yew is inferior because of how soft a wood it is
i dont have acces to yew or osage and have made bows from hickory(alot of the time),red oak (cause its easy to find 1/4 sawn lumber),white oak,ash,hell i even have a sumac stave i
have been saving,hop horn beam.all white woods,which some say are all "inferior woods".
but they work fine for bows,ya just gotta make the bow fit the wood that you are using,you cant take hickory and make the same bow out of it that you would with osage or yew for instance

so its not realy an inferior wood

Peace, Tim:

All i said was it is not Premier wood.  Sorry if I upset you.

Scott

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 03:23:02 pm »
Marius...Thats a really nice looking Bow there....Purpleheart sure sets it off....especially the Overlays...I like!!!!

As for Red Oak not being a Good Wood....not True in My Findings....I have only had one paddle Bow die made from Red Oak....and that was my Problem....remember what Jawge said....3 rules....1} Grain....2} Grain....3}Grain......it has to be as straight as possible...with little to no Runoff....and they will work fine....Listen to Jawge....He's Da Man ...when it come to Board Bows for Sure........JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »
that's what i'm saying!!!

any wood where you have to be THAT picky is not premium stuff.  That's obvious. 

I could be wrong, but i think the reason alot of people start with it is that it's very easy to obtain.

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 03:52:21 pm »
He is talking about board stock selection being important. That would be just as true if you found a stash of Yew or Osage boards. Maybe more so.
 A Red Oak stave is as premium a wood as any.

radius

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »
you guys are all suffering from stinkin thinkin.  red oak is fine.  there are many finer woods out there.  

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 04:00:31 pm »
                      Hey Pat...how Ya doing out there on the East Coast?? How's the Weather treating You???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome