Author Topic: HAPPY THANKSGIVING & Finally got a bow to post: Maple Holmegaard  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: HAPPY THANKSGIVING & Finally got a bow to post: Maple Holmegaard
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 09:34:33 am »
Very nice bow! The good average speed for a self bow is the draw weight plus 100 with a 500gr arrow(50# + 100 = 150fps). You have good speed with this bow but this design lends itself to a bit more speed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Pat B. I probably could have made it a little less conservative but I also don't know the weight of the arrows I was shooting so the speed could be good or bad. Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate it.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »
makes me want to try one.   nice work
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

radius

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 02:33:18 pm »
i really like the burnt look on the outsides of the tips.  looks like about 1:1, bending:non-bending?  Good one bro.  I prefer to get them bending fast out of the handle, i think you are not quite using all the available wood for bending.  Even so, looks great, looks like lots of fun.

Scott

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 03:31:07 pm »
Thanks guys. I just got back from GanderMtn and shot it a couple times through the chronograph. Highest I was able to get was 168 but the average was more like 162. Thanks for looking.

I am surprised that Gander Mountain let You shoot a Homemade Bow in their Range....Liability Reasons and all....the One in Amarillo will not let You do it...I tried....wanted to check out the Spine on some of their Arrows to find some that Shot well...but they would not let me Shoot my Stick....Manager said it would Violate Store Policies to do so............Imagine That!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 05:15:45 pm »

That's for sure a bow to be proud of...very well done!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »
Thanks a lot guys.
radius - It is 1:1 for working non working and I also felt that way about the tiller. I think the bottom limb looks like it bends closer to the handle than the top.
El Destructo - I almost couldn't shoot because the battery on the chrono was dead but they got a new one in. Didn't really say anything about me shooting trad though.
I really appreciate your feedback everyone. Hopefully the next one will be up sooner.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 09:18:26 am »
Hey Ryan,
Showed the pictures of your bow to my wife. She says "Very nice work..." and she wants to know how you manage to build all these great bows with your college schedule?
Hope you bring that to Mojam this, I mean, next year... I'd like to see it up close.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 12:16:31 pm »
That's a really nice bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 01:24:15 am »
Thanks guys. I'm was really happy with how this bow came out and I'm glad to hear that its not just that I like my own cooking. I really appreciate the comments.
Paul - I've been coming home more often than last year since I have a girlfriend so when we're not together I find time. I was able to go from board to final sanding on this one in a weekend. I was thinking about making this bow for so long at school though that I had already made it several times in my head so I just had to put my ideas into reality. Although I've had a long break this week, I really haven't had time just because I'm spending time with my girlfriend. She's about the only thing that keeps me from working on them and when I'm with her I never think about it.  :D

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 10:00:22 am »
Well you sure are balancing your time real well.  Board to bow in a weekend... Impressive...
So, when are you going to build your girlfriend a bow...?
 :D

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 10:27:45 am »
Howdy RYoon,

I want to compliment you on your really, fine bow.  Great job all around!
Also, it's encouraging to know that a guy can build a decent bow in just a couple of days. 
I had recently been thinking a lot about how much time it takes for me to turn one out - too long!  So, over this long weekend, I built a kid's bow, from a board, in six or seven hours using just my hand tools; spoke shave mostly.  It turned out well.  (I'll post it soon.)

Thanks for sharing, 
Canoe

(And yes, when are you going to build a bow for the girl friend?)
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:09 pm »
Impressive string alignment. Bookmarked for Nov Self BOM fun, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline RyanY

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 04:13:53 pm »
Thanks guys. I have a perry reflex glue up of a hickory backed purple heart I'm going to make her. Not for christmas though. It will probably be a spur of the moment gift when I finish it.  :D

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »
Nice job Denny