Author Topic: Rosehip/Rose  (Read 3863 times)

Offline bushman

Rosehip/Rose
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:07:55 am »
Has anyone ever tried to make a bow from Rosehip or any other type wood in the rose family? I seen some rosehips that where more like a tree, about 15 feet tall and about inch and a half in diameter at the base.
Bushman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rosehip/Rose
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:26:13 am »
I don't know what you are calling "rosehip". ???   I would say that if you found a rose shoot(any rose shoot) big enough for a bow it would probably make a good bow. At least I would give it a try. Probably anything over an inch diameter would work fine for a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:57:50 am »
I thought rose hips were the fruit of rose bushes?  Fifteen foot tall roses sound impressive.  I've never heard of a bow made from a rose, but like Pat said it should work.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline jturner

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:05:20 am »
Havent tried it. Yet. I cut some that were 2 plus inches thick. I dipped the ends of some in parafin they didnt split the ones i didnt dip all split right in two. I just have been too busy to do anything with it they have been cut for a couple years now and when dry they wheigh almost nothing.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 11:00:04 am »
No but wild rose makes great arrows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:03:19 am »
I've got a piece dry and ready to try but it's still in the unfinished bow pile.

It worked fine for greenstick bows when I was a boy.

Mark in England

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 02:44:10 pm »
I heard they used to use  it for pipe bowls because of its hardness and its very flexible , so  its looks very optimistic to me
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline bushman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 02:48:03 am »
Hey Pat B and M-P I guess the rose hips are the fruit of a rose bush, we always just called the wild roses that grow around my place rose hips. So I guess I should have said wild rose. The roses that I saw that looked like small trees are on private property near a hot spring so I guess it grow like that from all the minerals in the water. Sadly I don’t think the land owner would let me cut one of the roses down to try and make a bow out of it.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 07:02:26 am »
go in under cover of darkness with a small but sharp folding saw ,roses grow better when they are pruned >:D
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 01:36:48 pm »
Absolutely! Hawthorn, serviceberry, chokecherry, ocean spray are all in the rose family (Roseaceae) and will make good bows.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline bcbull

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »
sombodu  just posted a bow  make from rose cant rember who anybody ?  think it was in the last month  brock