Author Topic: Big Doe  (Read 18407 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Big Doe
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:51:07 pm »

I went hunting the morning before Thanksgiving behind my house and had an eventful morning.

The story: I was hunting with my dogwood bow and was using a cane arrow that Sawfiler had given me last year. It had a tradepoint on it, and I'd decided to use it as my #1 arrow until I got a shot. Shannon had also helped with my dogwood bow by shaping one of the tips and I matched the other. That bow has a lot of mojo in it if you recall, it has sprinklings of flint chips from folks that came to the Classic. I was also carrying with me that morning a knife given me by Jon Cook...he had put a dogwood handle on it for me. Anyhow, about 6:45 four does came in and crossed the trail I had come in on. It was obvious that the lead doe must have smelled my track even though I wear rubber boots. They had been heading down to the foodplot I was hunting over, but instead circled wide walking the back edge of my yard to get around me. They never reallly spooked, just didn't like the "smell" of it! About 10 minutes later I heard a sound down in the hollow below me and saw a couple of does running. They stopped and finally eased into a thicket out of sight...I thought I'd see a buck trailing, but never did.

About 7:20am a doe stepped into the food plot. She wasn't feeding, just on the move. She looked down into the hollow where I had seen the two does for a couple of minutes, then recrossed the food plot and stepped into the strip of woods between the food plot and my house. She was walking through and I decided to take a shot at about 18 yards. I didn't lead her as I should have, and hit her what I thought to be about mid-body length and width. I watched her and mentally marked the last spot I saw her. I waited thirty minutes or so before getting down and went to where she was standing when I made the shot. I immediately found blood and tracked her 30 yards or so just to get a feel for the blood trail. I didn't see any sign of guts, but had decided not to track her for a while just in case of a gut shot in which case we usually give them several hours to die rather then jump them from a bed and risk losing them. I called Pappy and told him the details, he said he would run by after he got off work. Don called me to see how my morning went, and he said he would come help look for her as well. Don arrive around 11:00, and Pappy a few minutes later. We started tracking her and she was leaving a decent blood trail. There were times where we loss the blood, but some circling and we would pick it up again. On one of these circling trips, I spotted her laying dead about 30 yards from me. She had traveled probably about 200 yards from where I had shot her. There was sign that she had bedded there and been alive for at least a little while before dying. If I had taken up the trail immediately she would have been spooked and covered no telling how much distance before dying. Very good chance we would not have found her.

She weighed 115 lbs. field-dressed, another good doe for our area. Pappy checked the arrow path while I went for the 4-wheeler. The arrow had passed through the back of the liver and one lung with the pass through shot. The arrow was still sticking in the doe when we found her...minus the trade point which most likely got yanked off when she brushed by a tree. I was excited that the first shot at a deer with my dogwood bow made meat! :) Thanks goes to good friends that helped me retrieve the doe. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline woodstick

Re: Big Doe
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »
thats a goodun, glad you had a good hunt. n-joy the fine food.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:08:49 pm »
Great Job Greg! 
 I think I'll start taking orders for my "Magic arrows"  ::)
 How's $99.95 each sound ;D  I know that's kinda cheap, but hey...I'm an honest man O:)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:43:50 pm »
Ok. Now its recurve time! lol.... Nice doe Greg. Congrats!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Key

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:59:34 pm »
Nice going Greg.
Roger

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:06:09 am »
She is a beauty....nice one for the freezer! Good job, Greg. It's always nice to have tracking buddies.... ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:17:32 am »
Nice big doe Greg, Congrats.  That is a fine bow you took her with.  Also a very good lesson in patience when tracking a shot deer.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:25:24 am »
Nice doe, Greg. Remembering where she was when you shot, where she went and where the shot hit then knowing to wait is a good lesson for all. Having tracking friends...priceless!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 05:51:01 pm »
looks great, Greg!

Offline kerryb

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:03:27 pm »
good friends, great results, memories forever.  Congrats
Milan Mo

Offline Christophero

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 04:36:42 pm »
Excellent Greg,
I remember you showing me that pretty Dogwood Bow with the flint chips at Cloverdale this past summer.  If I remember correctly it, also, has a small stone arrowhead laced to the handle wrap.  Glad to know it hunts as good as it looks. 
Christopher

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:45:36 pm »
Nice doe,exciting hunt,beautiful bow, and good friends. Congrats on another one Greg. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 07:23:30 pm »
 I love the story, Greg. And that is a pretty doe. Congratulations.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 09:01:13 pm »

Thanks everyone!

Christopher, yes it does have an authentic arrow head laced to the front of it under the handle. I found it as a teenager behind my parents house in the garden. I've kept it all these years and decided to integrate it with the dogwood bow since I made it from a tree cut off my property and the bow had special meaning for me because of that and others involvement.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline nocams

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 09:42:42 pm »
Congrats Greg from me and Mason ! We been busy huntin ourselves and just now playin catch up on here.