Author Topic: Red Oak believer  (Read 4826 times)

radius

Re: Red Oak believer
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »
oh all right all right

i admit:  i also made a really sweet red oak bow once:  very short, recurved, strong.

coming up

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 09:28:20 pm »
So far I've made bows from Red Oak, Hickory, Maple, and White Oak.  Several bows from each.  I like Red Oak the best.  Dressed up with the right touches, like yours, Red Oak is fantastic. 

Offline RyanY

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 01:27:34 am »
I started with red oak. I think about going to it from time to time but I really don't want to use the 1.5" pieces but I don't have a table saw to rip the wider ones.  :( Beautiful bow though. There's just something about a red oak bow.  :)

Offline sulphur

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 09:13:38 am »
ryoon  the boards are acutally 2.5 wide  (1x3 )  you don't have to rip them to 2" if you don't want.  a 2.5" wide pyramid bow is almost tillered after you cut it out.  you could also make it a few inchers shorter, say 64" ntn.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 10:11:40 am »
That's it, radius. For your penance you'll have to listen to "I'm a Believer" by the Monkeys at least 3 times. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 10:31:45 am »
WOW radius
you willactualy admit to making a bow from an "inferior wood" such as red oak
with too much yew,you actually made a bow from red oak
unbelievable ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »
Red oak makes great bows and is readily available. Got your fine weapon all bookmarked for Nov Self BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 04:31:33 pm »
nice bow sulfur, I too have started making them 1.75-2" wide and hav had better bows with less string follow than the 1.5 inch monstrosities  I started out with.  Red oak is a great all around wood.  Easy to carve and easy on the tools too.  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 04:41:04 pm »
  Red oak is no better or worse than other popular bow woods. I think because it is common and easy to get it might be overlooked very often. Making them wide enough to take the strain is the key as was noted above. I have done extensive testing with all the woods we make bows out of and can honestly say that there is no clear cut winner in performance when normal moisture levels are used. Some woods can tolerate lower moisture levels such as hickory and hornbeam and will excel when extra dry. If I am going for performance I tend to prefer hard maple boards from the lumber yard. I seem to average a touch better with it.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 05:34:07 pm »
I do not want to hijack this thread from red oak to maple, but I had a question for Badger. How do you do your maple board bows? Dimensions, tillering, etc. I am into maple board bows right now (along with red oak).

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 06:21:56 pm »
Nice looking bow, I think I'd keep it too!
south central VA