Author Topic: Houston Tx  (Read 74394 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Houston Tx
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2013, 03:16:36 am »
Welcome Michael,

I'm in Spring Branch.

4dog, I'm still interested in Somerville...
But I'm thinking more once it cools off a bit...

COME ON FALL!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline 4dog

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »
I just dont want to get in the way of hunting time.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2013, 02:45:25 am »
Hey 4Dog or Gus, are ya'll still doing get togethers over there? I'm a couple hours away in Buna, bout 30 minutes north of Beaumont. If ya'll do get together I'd like to join in, I know its been awhile since anyone posted here but thought it wouldn't hurt to see whats going on in ya'lls area. I'd love to meet up with some like minded people and make some shavings.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Gus

« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2013, 05:58:05 pm »
Hey Stickman,

We haven't had a Get Together in a while.
We were talking about having one then Hunting Season got going.
But I look for something in the next month or so.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Knosaj

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:03 pm »
Bump,

I live in NW houston.

If you guys meet up to build some bows, if y'all wouldn't mind, I'd like to hang around a learn a thing or two.

Offline Gus

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »
Hello Knosaj,

We haven't had a Get Together in some time...
I would venture to say Life has gotten the better of us as far as Getting Together goes...

However, I'm on the West side of town, Spring Branch.
At least for the next month or two.

You are welcome to come by and make some shavings...
I'm no Bowyer but I have built a few shooters...  :)

PM me if you like and we can try to get something going

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Knosaj

« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:11 am »
Sounds good. I plan on making one this weekend.

I might learn more from someone more experience after I get one under my belt.

So in the next few weeks when I've got an open Saturday or something maybe can hook up!

Thanks for the offer Gus!

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2014, 12:53:19 pm »
Howdy everyone.

Been a while since I was on here last. Our computer went down, and fighting with the kids for time on their tablet is nearly a moot point. Lol! I presume everyone made it into the new year alright, hopefully.

Do any of you guys go to any of the 3D shoots? I know there is one today at Buffalo Field Archery today, and I think there is one over by Conroe at Archery on Fire next weekend, as well as the ASA qualifier there this weekend, too.

Have any of you done anything with western juniper before? I want to finish up my first bow I started last year, but don't know where to go beyond roughing out the bow. It is 60" tip to tip, currently, though I may trim it down a bit more if it looks like the small bit of twist it has at the tips is going to be a problem. The 8' log the stave came from had 180 degrees of twist in it. The whole tree was actually able to grow very straight, so it never really clicked that it would have any twist, until the first two halves popped apart. Also, where I am with it now, I need to know how to proceed with the cambium layer. I had one friend with decades of experience with selfbows tell me to leave it on, and back over it with rawhide or another backing. Other guys I have talked to said to take the cambium off completely. One person said he has seen them stripped down to wood and left unbacked. So, any input? Lol! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Scott

After 10+ years shooting traditional archery, I am now interested in progressing farther back in time to primitive archery.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2014, 05:32:52 pm »
Micheal, I regularly attend the Brazos County Archery Clubs 3-D shoots. Thats over in Bryan Tx, not to far from you i think. There's 4 of us close to this area that are avid bowyers. Give me a shout if you wanna go to one of the shoots some time or visit my bow shop....i mean garage >:D
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Gus

« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2014, 10:56:15 am »
Hello Michael,

I'm currently located in Spring Branch.
Well be here for the next two weeks.
Then we'll be popping up in the Woodlands for a while.
Hoping to land in the Conroe area in the not too distant future.

You are welcome to swing by now or later.
I'm sure I could put a stave or two into your hands to play with.

As to your Juniper Bow.
If you are gonna back it, I would take the Cambium layer off.
But that's just me.

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
Re: die roadrunner die!!! { some language not suitable for children}
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:59 pm »
Gus i used to live in off kempwood when i was a kid. We left that area when i was about 12. When are you guys moving and why are yah getting rid of the wood. I'm fairly certain that i would make room for my wood pile. i would stack it nicely in the master bedroom and then strategically place the matresses over the top of it and call it a bed.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2014, 08:51:41 pm »
Howdy Gus,

Where will you be located in the Woodlands? There is a monthly shoot over there, just east of I-45 a few miles, at Archery on Fire. I made it to last month's shoot, and am hoping to pull off this weekend's shoot.

I saw a posting of a juniper bow a fellow did on here, and it looked like he left it unbacked, but took the cambium layer off, too. Was a great looking bow. Also saw something about using the heartwood, and backing that, too, so I may try that so I get some of the heartwood coloration.

What kind of staves do you have on hand? I wouldn't mind getting a decent quality stave to practice on, as the juniper material I have currently isn't particularly rookie-friendly, what with the twist it has.

Talk to you soon.

Michael
Michael Scott

After 10+ years shooting traditional archery, I am now interested in progressing farther back in time to primitive archery.

Offline Gus

« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2014, 02:13:55 am »
Ink,

I'm just down from Kempwood off the West end of Long Point.
And I'm hoping to leave too much behind, Wood, Rock or Iron.

But in truth I have Several Tons of wood and Stone to move.

So if I could pass along a Stave, Split or Log along to some local folks that need it, that would be good for them and me. But if nobody wants it I'll just have to take it all with me...

;)

Michael, we are gonna be up near Woodlands Parkway.
I'd love to make some of the Shoots up that way once we get settled.

You can make a Juniper Self Bow.
The nicer the Piece of Juniper is, the better your chances.

I could lay an Osage Stave on ya...
And maybe some Mulberry...

;)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2014, 10:10:20 pm »
Howdy Ink,

You're about an hour from me. Not bad, but would take a little planning ahead to make it up. How often do you guys have shoots up there? I'd like to get to know more people in the primitive archery spectrum, and make more shoots, too.

Gus,

Where will you be at off the Woodlands Parkway? I am over that direction regularly for work, and live not too far from there, to boot. I'd be very appreciative of any staves or advice you'd be willing to give me. This juniper bow is the first bow I've done anything with. I am going to peel the cambium off, and I may shorten the bow up a bit at each end to give it a bit more power. I think I am a bit narrow and thin on the limbs to get much power out of it, but a bit shorter might help give it a bit more oomph. Also, I saw one fellow on PA that it looked like he did an un-backed juniper bow, but I couldn't swear to it. Do you know anything about building a bow without backing it? Does it work, is it advisable? Also, I am thinking about doing something with crepe myrtle, too. I saw some threads about that as a bow wood, too. And I guess crepe myrtle can be heat-tempered, which I guess makes it possible to build the bow green and then dry it?

Also, if you guys want, look me up on Facebook: http://facebook.com/mhscott2

Michael
Michael Scott

Offline Gus

« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2014, 04:30:11 am »
Howdy Michael,

Our new house (Temporary) is one road south of Woodlands Parkway off of Grogan Mill/Raford Sawdust,  Timber Mill Road is our street.
At this point I think it's gonna be a couple weeks before I get my work area set up again.
But I should be back I'm action pretty Quick...

Good thing is, I'll have gone through all my staves by then by moving them, and we should be able to find you a nice Piece of Osage.

Juniper can go Unbacked.
But it depends A Lot on the Quality of the Stave, and Skill of the Builder.

Heat Treating is used on Seasoned, or at least Dry Wood.
Putting Heat to Green Wood is Not Advisable...
You risk inducing Cracks and Ckecks at best...

Crepe Myrtle can make a Nice Bow indeed.
It pays to choose a piece of CM that will line up with as little correction needed up front.
Or be prepared for a bit of resistance in straightening.

If you would, send me a PM and I'll send you my Cell Number.

Regards,

-gus

Conroe, TX