Author Topic: some pictures of my work  (Read 3016 times)

Offline denny

• my site
some pictures of my work
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:18:49 pm »
heres some pics youve been asking for .

-Denny

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:25:14 pm by denny »

Offline bryan irwin

Re: some pictures of my work
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »
nice bows i like elb's
bryan irwin

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:39:16 pm »
Thanks Bryan, I made these for sca meadevil function.   Denny

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:46:06 pm »
looks like ya need one more, nice set of bows.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

radius

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:55:16 pm »
i talked to some sca ppl about making bows.  They have a 30# maximum rule for their games.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:56:06 am »
Very nice, Denny!
Frank from Germany...

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:26 am »
Thanks medicinewheel, The bow I am drawing is hickory ,elk hide backed and beavertail handle. Its draw is 68 inches, 58lbs at 28" draw. I just made an ash bow yesterday for a fellow. We traded a huge bear carving ,he did for it.I have  found hickory is getting compression cracks on some of my elbs. They are small,however they are unsightly I make this note, as i haven't had the same with ash. Croom said he uses ash, so I tried one and it stained really beautiful and no cracks. Denny

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:01:05 pm »
i talked to some sca ppl about making bows.  They have a 30# maximum rule for their games.

I think that is for shooting at each other in that "armor" of theirs on the "field of battle."

For target shooting, they use heavier bows, at least that is my understanding. I've seen photos of fiberlass recurves and arrow shelves, so you have to take it for what it is worth.

Dont expect historical accuracy for the most part from the SCA. They even think the code of Chivelry as portrayed by Mallory was real. :) It is a glorified past that never existed. They also love duct tape and cotton tunics, that kind of thing.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »
I agree with dane, The marshals are the inspectors and most don't even participate in archery. ha, They definitely don't like character self bows.They think they are dangerous.   denny

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:07:47 pm »
Offer some one or two or more for Bow of the Month. Provide pics of braced, unbraced, tip, handle, string alignment, full draw, etc. And a narrative to include length, weight, etc.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline kerryb

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:21 pm »
nice looking work
Milan Mo

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:05 am »

I think that is for shooting at each other in that "armor" of theirs on the "field of battle."

For target shooting, they use heavier bows, at least that is my understanding. I've seen photos of fiberlass recurves and arrow shelves, so you have to take it for what it is worth.

Dont expect historical accuracy for the most part from the SCA. They even think the code of Chivelry as portrayed by Mallory was real. :) It is a glorified past that never existed. They also love duct tape and cotton tunics, that kind of thing.

Dane

I've dabbled a bit in the SCA. I'm not a dues paying member but I have my own garb (14th century Welsh Archer 100 Years War). I stay nominally involved so that I can show up and participate in the shooting events that are within driving distance. It can be a fun group but my wife and I attended a big local event with lots of "royalty" and the like. We're both nerds - we'd be the first to admit it - but man, these people take the cake! A little TOO into it for my tastes. Still, they're a good resource for learning some long forgotten crafts. I picked up the basics of leatherworking from an SCA guy and that same guy does pewter casting which I'm hoping to learn. Another guy actually makes period boots and shoes which I'd also like to learn. As for their archery, they won't let you shoot anything but wooden arrows, but when it comes to the actual bow you can shoot anything but a compound. If it's a modern recurve with cut out riser body they only ask that you cover the holes to try to "medieval it up a bit". I've never seen anyone (but myself) shooting a bow they made themselves, and most tend to shoot modern fiberglass backed bows. I mainly stay marginally involved because the events are usually fun with some wacky shoots like shooting a cheese crown out of a castle window - that sort of thing. That and it's the only place I can shoot my medieval crossbows since archery ranges won't let you shoot them.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:47 am »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention - really NICE looking bows Denny!