Author Topic: Youtube Drawknife Request  (Read 7649 times)

Innocente

Youtube Drawknife Request
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:24:38 am »
hi

have read so much about the drawknife, and i can't visualize how it could be useful for really fine wood removal in bowmaking.
got on youtube and this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZhAEa_d1Tw) showed me how one USES a drawknife. (in bark removal on a log). 
any of you technosavvy guys willing to film yourself useing the drawknife on a bow in progress? 

the pics are nice, but actually watching live action of a guy who knows how to do it is worth gold to a newbie.

thanks in advance

banoch

Re: Youtube Drawknife Request
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:34:11 am »
Flip it over and use it bevel down.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:39:15 am »
Flip it over and use it bevel down.

x2.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:01 am »
A drawknife, like all hand tools, takes a LOT of practice before you start to feel proficient with it. It took me years to start really understanding what you can do with one, and start to feel comfortable that I was using it and it wasn't using me. Same deal with the adz, spokeshave, and other tools. Patience is the key to learning a craft, and willingness to use materials in the process.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Innocente

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:18:47 pm »
i agree with you dane. that's why i was hoping one of you more experienced bowyers would demonstrate correct use of the tool for us newbies

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:47:02 pm »
I have never tried using the drawknife with the bevel down. I have seen some guys use it bevel down, but for me I have better control of it the way I'm used to, It just seems to hog off more wood with the bevel up.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:57:58 pm »
I'm with Dano.  Bevel up gives me much more control.  In fact, I've never had any luck bevel down- sharp or dull draw knife.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:22:00 pm »
I get my draw knife razor sharp and hold it 90 degrees above the bow limb and push it away from me with the bevel towards me and remove limb-long shavings of wood.  I mainly use it for fine tillering.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »
You can also use the drawknife pushing away from you, with the blade facing away, not toward you. It feels strange at first, but once you have the basic technique, it is not that hard to do.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:53:43 pm »
I dont use a draw shave a whole lot but I like to use it bevel down. With the bevel up it seems to dive too deep. With it down I can get the right control and still take as much as I like. I like a slightly curved blade also. I know a lot of guys like the straight blades. I would try both and see what works for you.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 09:59:55 pm »
With the bevel up, I can't be sure of it not digging in on me, I can control it and cut how I want to bevel-down. I guess it's just what you get used to. I use mine like Josh said at 90 degrees as a scraper, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 10:00:39 pm »
I've mentioned this before to numerous people, but I use a drawknife with a small, flexible blade; it's the best tool I have. And I always use it with the bevel up. I haven't done much research into other companies that sell the same thing, but Flexcut has my drawknife of choice.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 10:04:23 pm »
You can vary the angle of attack to make a finer cut. The more the angle the finer the cut. However, you are better off with a scraper or rasp for really fine work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 10:37:23 pm »
I use a drawknife almost exclusively. I have three that all have diferent bevels and are all three diferent sizes. A 15inch steep bevel for lots of quick removal of wood as well as bark,  a 10 inch with slightly less navel that is sharper for more controlled wood removal and then a swedish carving draw knife with a five inch blade that is razor sharp ( literally ) for shaping handles and such. Of course I also use scrApers and files but the majority of my wood removal is with a drawknife.
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline knap_123

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 11:08:46 pm »
i use mine boyh ways, bevel up tp remove bark and sap wood,  down and angled to chase a ring or scrape