Author Topic: Necessity gives birth to an invention  (Read 2636 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Necessity gives birth to an invention
« on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:05 pm »
How does an apartment dweller who likes to make bows store a 7'x1'x2' heat box? Well, I'm getting some cores and bamboo from David Knight and I figured I'd start using a heat box. In the past I've played around with EA-40 (Smooth On), but I've always let it cure at room temperature for 24 hours. I know you get a quicker cure but also a stronger cure if you bake it at 150F for 6 hours. David uses Urac for his glue-ups he said, however I still have plenty of Smooth On so I figured I'd use it up. Anyway, I figured I'd start making more laminated bows so I figured now was as good a time as any to make a heat box. However, I wanted it to be able to bake a 72" longbow which meant it needed to be about 7' long, at least 1' wide and about 2' tall to accommodate the form and clamps. That's a pretty big box to try to store out of the way, especially if you make it out of plywood. My first thought was to make it out of cheap OSB and line it with Reflectix. I thought about it and ended up deciding to make a wood/foam hybrid box. I saw a heat box when I was searching the webz that was made all out of reflective faced foam board. I wanted something lightweight but a box like that derives it's strength from being completely fastened together. That still wouldn't solve my problem. So, I did some cipherin' and came up with a rigid frame with OSB top and bottom and sides with 1x2 pine furring stripes for a frame to strengthen it. The whole thing fastens together with 1/4" bolts and wing nuts and is lined with 1/2" reflective faced insulation. The sides are the foam just in panels. The only thing I have to do to complete the box is to attach some small metal pieces to the wing nuts to hold the foam panels in place and a switch plate to cover the box for my rheostat. I also need to pick up a thermometer to monitor temperature. What do you guys use for thermometers in your heat boxes? Anyway, the whole thing breaks down pretty small and I can store the pieces on the shelving unit in my work area, thus keeping my work space free to tiller bows out or whatever. Anyway, here are the photos:

Box with lid on

Lid up showing light fixtures (I'll use 4 100W bulbs) - and reflective faced foam board

Box broken down

Box stowed up out of the way on a shelf

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Necessity gives birth to an invention
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:20:42 pm »
awesome idea, a 8 piece take down heat box!  cool cool cool!    :) josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:41:04 pm »
Sweet.. Might have to build one to travel with.. ;D

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:11 am »
David,
I hadn't thought of that, but hey it'd be cool to have a portable heat box for some of those bowyering meets that are held around the country. I'm sure they go on long enough throughout the day to be useful to have one. Or if you went to some kind of trade show or craft show where you could be working on stuff and be able to show people how it's done. Can't wait to get those blanks, glue 'em up and pop 'em in the oven!

radius

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:49 am »

to go with the tailgate tiller tree!

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:06 am »
Get your self a meat thermometer and just push it thru the foam. Works in mine!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:54 am »

to go with the tailgate tiller tree!

Yep!!! Most of the event I go to are at least 3 days and it would be nice to share how to with allot of these guy's..

kiltedcelt .. I cant wait to see them when you are done.. ;)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:48:31 am »
Yeap, I vote meat thermometor...or just a generic oven thermometor...you can get them <$2 at Wal-Mart.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 07:50:15 pm »
Every now and then a cool tool comes along. You got one there.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »
its good to have ya on here, you got some good ideas, keep em rolling.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:50:53 pm »
Thanks for all the positive replies guys! Wait until you see my home-made motorized cresting jig. I've got the pieces sitting on the workbench. I'll probably get that knocked out over the next couple days while I'm waiting for my blanks to arrive. I've got no other bow projects going until then.