Author Topic: month old osage bowstave  (Read 3922 times)

Offline luke the drifter

month old osage bowstave
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:02 pm »
is it necessarily a bad thing to work with osage while relatively green?  do you compromise good tillering by working it "green"?  just curious.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: month old osage bowstave
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:38:00 pm »
Dont start tillering until it is dry. This might help.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16316.0.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:07 pm »
Luke, I'm in a hurry.  My best solution was to find someone who had a cured osage stave to trade for my fresh stuff.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:58:27 pm »
Luke, last year I built a 60" osage static recurve that bends through the handle. The stave was about two months old when I built it. It fretted badly and I'm convinced it was because the wood was not cured well. You are better off if you can give it a year or more but you may get away with 6 months if reduced to almost bow size and forced dry. Be sure to seal the back and ends well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:40 pm »
i dont make any bows outa osage till it is atleast 1 year old. i made one outa a stave that weas 13 years old, perfect. Jay StCharles has it now and luvs it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 12:42:35 am »
Osage is one Wood that You just don't want to Rush working on or reducing too much....leave it be for a Year or more if possible....you will be happier with the outcome.......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:50:42 am »
I NEVER try tillering Osage less than a year old,I prefer 2 or 3 or more. I do rough them out sometime while green seal, steam and straighten ,then date and put up for as long as I can 
stand it.Also never use dry heat on Green Osage,any wood for that matter,it will check bad
if you do. :) You may be in a hurry but I can almost promise you if you try it green you won't be happy with the outcome. :) Most white wood you can work faster,I have done Hickory or
HHB in a little over a month from tree to bow just buy working it down a little at a time and
letting it dry over an AC duct or heat box in between working on it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 07:21:52 am »
Luke be patient. You will be rewarded if you let it season for a while. I like to wait at least a year on Osage staves.

Sitting Coyote

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:59:18 pm »
I agree with all who posted so far.  For better or worse, making a nice bow, particularly out of heartwoods like osage, locust, and mulberry, you just can't hurry.  These woods teach patience in so many ways...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 02:30:36 pm »
Black locust checks when you walk by a pond with your bow. LOL. I never force dried BL for that reason. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »
What Pappy said. You can rough it out, then seal it and let it dry.  Speaking of dry osage, I got me this tollhouse stave from Timo that I still have to make a bow out of... ;D

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 06:00:00 pm »
You can go ahead and rough out you bow for now but seal the whole thing good with varnish or perhaps shellac. Keep it in the house preferrably in the horizonally position. After about 6 months get it floor tillered (and steam straightened if need be) but for now you just leave it's back varnished. At around 9 months you can start finishing your bow and using heat if needed. ART

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:49:49 pm »
patience luke
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:04:16 pm »
patience luke

“Yes patience Young Jedi..... a Jedi's strength flows from the Force..... But beware of the dark side..... Anger, fear, aggression..... the dark side of the Force are they...... Easily they flow.... quick to join you in a fight..... If once you start down the dark path..... forever will it dominate your destiny..... consume you it will..... Ummm"

Oh I had a Flashback to the 70's............ ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:24 pm »
mike,

that is exactly what i was thinking when i read youngbowyer33's post ;D :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd