Author Topic: Ever whip one up from a cedar closet rod?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Ever whip one up from a cedar closet rod?
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:39:12 am »
A bow, that is.  I saw one earlier today with a straight grain...just had me a bit curious.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
Re: Ever whip one up from a cedar closet rod?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:54 am »
Howdy Makenzie,

I don't know if Cedar would work so good.  But, I've heard of folks using long, Hickory or Ash shovel handles.

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 12:08:38 pm »
I didn't know how well cedar would work for a bow...know for sure it makes good arrows.  I make it a point to look through the garden handles every time I'm shipping lol.  I've been on the hunt for a good hickory axe handle to split into a take-down.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »
I wouldn't bother if you want it to become a good bow, but you could try, just to learn some things along the way.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:31 pm »
probably won't bother...I'm reading some negative things about cedar as a bow wood.  I make enough "poor" bows as it is lol.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:34 pm »
Get a  red oak board. I think you'll be better off. Look for straight grained stock. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »
They look and work real well until they dry out and blow... and man do they blow! I say this from experience. ;D
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 04:53:00 pm »
Get a  red oak board. I think you'll be better off. Look for straight grained stock. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Thanks George.  You should look at the laminate bow of the month voting going on right now. :)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:53:21 pm »
I have made several cedar bows and they were light and fasst. As far as from a closet rod I am not sure, but from a stave I wouldn't hesitate to make a bow.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 05:44:54 pm »
Nugget ,where would one get a cedar stave? denny

Offline Dano

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:08:06 pm »
If I was completely "board"  ;D I might try that with a bamboo back, it might work great.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 02:37:26 am »
yeah i've contemplated the the shovel handle idea with a very nice grained 1.5" thick ash handle I saw at Lowes...but the 15 dollar price tag didn't go with me lol

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 07:24:31 am »
denny, we have eastern red cedar growing in NC. I have collected several nice staves in my journeys. Other than collecting them yourself, I would recommend asking to trade for one or seeing if anyone has it growing near you.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:57:44 am »
It will depend on what type of "cedar" you are talking about. Eastern Red Cedar will make a good bow but Western Red Cedar isn't an appropriate bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:01:18 am »
I don't believe they specify, Pat, lol...just says "cedar closet rod".  It's all good...there's more gamble than I would like to deal with and, as said, I make enough poor bows as it is...with good lumber, even.