Author Topic: snatching fletching ?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline knap_123

snatching fletching ?
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:03:22 pm »
do you snatch your fletchings from your  turkey feathers or whats your opinion?  also, can you  use either side of a tail feather for fletching a 3 fletch,  or do they have to come from the same side?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: snatching fletching ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:29 pm »
I can but don't strip feathers. I prefer to grind the quill.
 All feathers have 2 sides. The main portion of the feather is usually to the rear on the feather. With primary flight feathers(most desirable) that is the portion for premium fletching. Tail feathers also have a "left" and "right" so both sides of the same feather can't be used together on a 3 fletch. However two tail feathers, laid back to back on the shaft make a great fletching style; Eastern Woodland(Cherokee) style.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:50:35 pm »
What Pat said. Tail feathers from the left or right side of the tail fan have the same characteristics as right or left wing feathers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

half-eye

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:58:17 pm »
knap 123,
       I use tail feathers on a lot of my hunting arrows (they are really quiet) I fletch at about 2 to 5 degrees offset (not helical). Since I cut my fletch between 5 and 6 inches long I only get 1 feather per half, so if you use the rearward most part of the tail feather you can use both sides of a tail feather in an offset jig. After I split @ tail feather I group them into rights and lefts  so I use all the same on the same arrow....but as far as fit goes either side will work in an off-set jig.
       One other thing about tail feathers is they go past a bow handle without even a hickup let alone any deflection. They are "softer" than primaries of course but for quietness they just can't be beat.
half eye

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:03:35 pm »
Like Pat and Steve said. On big feathers you can sometimes get 4 fletchings.2 rights and 2 lefts. Now that's economy I like. ;) God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas