Author Topic: osage and sinew  (Read 2134 times)

Offline jturner

osage and sinew
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:52:45 am »
I asked this in another post wasnt really clear. I have some osage with tight rings that are bout imposible to chace, if im gonna back it with sinew is it neccicary to chace a ring or can i just take off the sapwood back it then tiller?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: osage and sinew
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:09:31 am »
Backing the stave with sinew, or any other decent backing, means you don't have to worry about chasing a ring.  It's probably still a good idea to minimize ring violations.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline jturner

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:19:14 am »
Thank you that means i have alot more useable staves. Should i keep the bows a little longer or could i still go short?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:12:01 am »
It wouldn't hurt to make them a little longer,and I would also attempt to chase the ring the best I could before the sinew. If you were backing with Boo or some other wood backing it would be OK
but sinew ant no sure cure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:21:50 am »
My first Osage bow was from a beautiful tight-ringed stave from Pat B. I had trouble getting it to one ring so I got it close and backed it with cotton. Held up to 75# draw weight- I'm sure sinew will be even better :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:50:21 am »
If you haven't built many bows chasing a ring the best you can will go a long way in helping you understand wood bow building. Learn as you chase the ring. Adding sinew will generally take care of ring violations. For your first one, keep it longer but as you complete one successfully make the next a bit shorter and see where your ability will take you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Kirkll

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »
i hope you don't mind another question guys. i've never done a self bow, and my first attempt is using Osage.   

What would you consider too short?   my stave is only 65" in the rough.

hope i'm  not hijacking a thread here....  Kirk

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
I measure my bows tip to tip. Most others measure nock to nock. My t/t 60" bows are 58"n/n and at my 26" draw it seems to work fine. At 65"t/t you will easily be able to build a 62"n/n bow and osage can handle it if you can.
  What is your draw length?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC