Author Topic: Christmas Came In The Mail Today  (Read 16503 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Christmas Came In The Mail Today
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:56:14 am »
Well I have traded with at least 25 people on this Board...but I am here to brag on a Member that I had never heard from in the Forums Posts at all until one day He PM'd me and asked if I was up for a trade on some of My Cholla Cactus...He said that He made Pens and had some Local and Exotic Woods that He would trade Me for knife Handles...Well I decided to take a chance with this little Known Member of PA...so I sent Him a One rate Box of Cactus in good faith.....Well Today I went to the Post Office and had a Package addressed from Him to Me....I opened the Box and found a large sampling of different Woods for Handles....and the most beautiful Custom Made Ball Point Pen I have ever Seen..... Jason took a piece of the Cholla I sent Him...cleaned it....filled it with a Black Resin...and Turned it on a Lathe into the most Unique Pen I have ever Owned!!

I want to thank Jason Thompson ( jthompson1995 ) for this fine Gesture and welcome Him to the PA Site and let everyone here know that this gift was above and beyond anything that I was anticipating and far greater than expected....once again ...Thank You Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline boo

Re: Christmas Came In The Mail Today
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:23:53 am »
Dang that pen is sweet! Great job Jason
Boo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:34:00 am »
That pen is too sexy for you Mike.  ;)  Beautiful workmanship!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:26:37 am »
WOW!!! - Everytime you think you're sort of informed about PA people's skills, there comes a thread like this!
This is a really special pen, love it!
Really liked the osage pen that was posted some time back, too!
Since I handwrite so much and only have shitty pens I really have to thinks of a trade for a custom made pen!
Frank from Germany...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:32:40 am »
That is one AWESOME pen!
 Kinda makes me feel like what I traded you for that box of cactus was... well...inadequate. :-\
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline catfishon

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:35:16 am »
man that looks cool ... great work  Jason

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:16:16 am »
Great looking stuff,the pin is a beauty. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:46:40 am »
Cool pen fer sure Mike :)

The bottom piece looks like the cherry burl that I have sever boxes of :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 08:21:55 am »
That is one slick pen.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 08:53:25 am »
Mike,

I'm glad you like the pen. And thanks for taking a chance and trusting a new guy. I meant to label the woods but forgot before I sealed the box, they (as you've shown them) are Curly koa, African blackwood with sapwood, Bloodwood (flooring scraps), Gaboon ebony, Paela, and the bottom wood is Spalted maple burl. I hope they work good for some knife handles.

I'm new to PA and bowmaking/archery but have been turning wood, mostly pens, for over 5 years and have made hundreds of pens and plenty of bowls and other things. I'm always willing to trade but any new trades will have to wait until after Christmas, I'm swamped with gifts to make right now. I'm willing and able to trade some pens I already have, make a custom pen, a pen from wood (or other things) you send me or turn custom tools, other items (ex. dogwood/persimmon billets for knapping). I'm glad to be a member of PA and this is a great group of people, thanks for all of the help and info I've gleaned from this site already.

I even found another penturner on this forum, ZanderPommo, who also makes some great pens (he made the osage pen that was posted previously) and has joined a penmaking forum I frequent. It's great to be able to make connections with people who have so many similar interests.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:00:37 am by jthompson1995 »
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline woodstick

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 10:43:28 am »
glad to see another person with goodness in him on here. welcome.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline kerryb

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 11:53:28 am »
beautiful work.
Milan Mo

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 12:02:25 pm »
WOW ! Great looking pen.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 01:32:12 pm »
Awesome work!!! Sometimes it really pays off to trust people. :)
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Dano

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 02:18:10 pm »
What goes around comes around!!   ;)

Beautiful Pen, that's a Sunday go ta meetin pen there. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada