Author Topic: Christmas Came In The Mail Today  (Read 16500 times)

Offline Stoker

Re: Christmas Came In The Mail Today
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 02:56:27 pm »
Cool pen awesome work
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 10:07:06 pm »
hey Jthompson nice pen.
as soon as i get my pressure pot imma make some cholla pens, i think maybe cigars or sierras.
right now im ordering a resinsaver and im going to be making snakeskin pens in cigar, sierra/monet, and slimline if there is enough clearance for a slim.
i imagine you used a pressure pot for the cholla?
is that polyester resin or alumnite? silmar 41 w/black powder coating paint?

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 11:00:34 pm »
You're just about to get into the fun of casting, huh. It's another learning curve to go through, especially the snakeskin casting.

I use Alumilite for my casting because I can't have the odor of polyester resin spread to the rest of my house from my shop. I use mica pigments for my casting and that cholla pen is actually a dark blue/black but the color didn't come through really well in the finished pen. Still looks good, though.

I haven't got a resinsaver but don't do much label casting to justify it. Remember with the slims that you have a lot of leeway with the thickness, you don't have to use all the parts or match the bushings all the time at the centerband and the finial, just at the nib. Happy turning.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 11:19:30 pm »
ahh true--can you just leave out the centerband, or do you have to adjust the transmision at all??

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »
also how did you cast the cholla w/out burying it in alumnite? PVC??
yes ive heard only alumnite will properly adhere to wood...

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 11:30:52 pm »
ahh true--can you just leave out the centerband, or do you have to adjust the transmision at all??

There's a bunch of different ways to do it, you can just leave out the centerband, you can make your own or you can make a single barrel slimline that twists at the nib instead. Some searching through the library at the IAP will show lots of ways to do it.

also how did you cast the cholla w/out burying it in alumnite? PVC??
yes ive heard only alumnite will properly adhere to wood...

I go ahead and bury it in the alumilite, or rather pour the alumilite around it. Once I cut the blanks apart I actually cut the barrels to length, turned it to 3/4" round and drilled it on the lathe using my Beall collet chuck. that was the best way i know to make sure I get the cholla centered around the tube and nice and even. This works for lots of pens where you need to make sure you drill dead center.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 11:40:39 pm »
turned it to 3/4" round and drilled it on the lathe using my Beall collet chuck. that was the best way i know to make sure I get the cholla centered around the tube and nice and even. This works for lots of pens where you need to make sure you drill dead center.

i gotta get me one of those...and a new lathe. right now i got a HF mini ::)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 12:41:25 am »
 Very nice bro.. now you can write an article about one of those big deer you killed for PA with it.. ;D ;)
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 12:48:18 am »
A Famous Poet or Writer once Said....The Pen is Mightier Than The Sword..... >:D ....And My Cholla Pen is One Killer Piece of Equipment..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 01:00:07 am »
yup you can also make pens with snakeskin cast in resin, antler, horn, acorns cast in resin, pasta cast in resin, coffee beans cast in resin, mammoth ivory, bone, shredded US currency cast in resin, caps from wood burls cast in resin, shell casings and the list goes on and on and on and on......well you get the idea--endless possibilities.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 02:14:10 pm »
yup you can also make pens with snakeskin cast in resin, antler, horn, acorns cast in resin, pasta cast in resin, coffee beans cast in resin, mammoth ivory, bone, shredded US currency cast in resin, caps from wood burls cast in resin, shell casings and the list goes on and on and on and on......well you get the idea--endless possibilities.

Welcome to another Addiction!! ;) >:D

Offline Jesse

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 03:20:00 pm »
Awesome looking pen Jason. El D your a lucky guy :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 06:24:01 pm »
"The pin IS mightier than the Sword".
But, just in case, you still got the AK. ;D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 06:48:15 pm »

David

the AK with the 50 round drum...  ;D 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 10:59:56 pm »

David

the AK with the 50 round drum...  ;D 

75 Round Drum................. :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome