Author Topic: new guy introduction  (Read 18023 times)

half-eye

Re: new guy introduction
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 01:47:58 pm »
dana,
      His is name is Grel Rousseau, I'm his crazy uncle Rich. No such a thing as a wolf....there are only arrow quivers and bow covers on the paw!!!!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:25 am »
I know who he is :) Never met him but its a small town eh :)
As for the wolves I'm in favor of the 3 S's management method Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 02:54:34 pm »
His Bows Again:

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 03:25:55 pm »
Great looking bows! I'm interested in the mollegabet bow. i think most guys here know it as a holmegaard, are they generally the same? I have a friend her in minnesota that makes mollegabet bows, so i am curious what makes them different from a homegaard, or is it just a different name for generally the same design? thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

half-eye

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 06:21:14 pm »
Gopher,
      No the Viking age bows are not the same. The real Holmegaard (found in Holmegaard Denmark) is shaped sort of like a skinny paddle bow (or you could say a fat-limbed long bow) they had a small "waisted" grip, the limbs had convex backs and realitively flat bellies. The Mollegabet pattern is the one with the wide working limbs and the "skinny" levers. The earliest forms of this type are highly Bi-convex (back & belly), the middle period were the same but they were lower bi-convex, and the later versions were bi-convex so little they were nearly like our american flat bows (flat back and belly). The Sweedish pattern (just found one in Sweeden about a year ago ( it's not on display yet at the national museum) and that bow a rigid handled "flat bow" straight tapered from grip fade to tip (both belly and plan view) the tip is rather wide maybe 1/2 to 3/4 and end in a pin knock.
     Dont mean to get so technical but this is my understanding from some correspondence I had with the Danish National Museum. As far as I know most people call the mollegabet pattern a "Holmegaard" bow and that's ok with me....but ya did ask, sorry for the long winded answer. Actually I've been thinking about the Sweedish pattern and it might just be the forerunner of the Welch "short-bow"...nobody has ever recovered one of those....but they are described and the two sound like they are pretty similiar (the last is just a guess).
half eye

half-eye

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2009, 06:24:30 pm »
Old Bow,
      Don't know how you do that photo colage thing but that's slick....thanks
half eye

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 07:30:22 pm »
 Glad to have you join the brotherhood .. look forward to seeing more of your fine work... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:35 pm »
not long winded at all, i like that kind of explanation, especially when it seems as though most of us are using the wrong terminology, thanks!
45# at 27"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 10:07:46 pm »
 Welcome, and glad you found your way here. It looks like you bring a wealth of knowledge to this table. You have some very impressive bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Fried Pie

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:21 pm »
Welcome...

It's a good bunch to pitch in with.

half-eye

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 10:14:36 pm »
Thanks you guys. Gopher, I'm just an old guy that whittles wood, and you guys that do that also are welcome at my place anytime. I read a bunch of posts about that non-traditional stuff....and was thinking about backing out but changed my mind and thought to keep my mouth shut for once.

I only say that cause I don't give a hoot what my friends call stuff, what kind of bows they make, how they make them or any of that other stuff.....I feel a kinship with any person who sets down and hacks and slashes a bow/arrow/whatever and makes something with his/her hands.....I try not to judge anyone and a little encouragement goes along way.
half eye

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:50 pm »
half-eye, you'll see as you stick around that the traditional/ non-traditional debate will come up about once a year. Depending on how many new people come on the site. You'll also see some of us grab the popcorn and watch the show till it runs out of gas. ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

half-eye

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 10:36:48 pm »
Mullet,
       Just finishing up my second bag.....thanks
half eye

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 10:42:01 pm »
yeah I have been here less than a year and I have seen it come up twice already.   :)  Kinda entertaining for the first 7 or 8 pages, there's name calling, and people gettin personal but it always comes to the same conclusion it seems like.  Everyone just kinda agrees to each his own and then are friends again.  Kinda cool.   8) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

half-eye

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 12:51:37 am »
fella's
       I think there is some interest in the Viking bows (Mollegabet pattern) so thought I send some pics. These are give-aways to some needy archers around here...you can see how the grips and tips is where I try to get @ person a little individuality. Hope they give you some ideas. Nobody should set home for lack of a bow to hunt with.....
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]