Author Topic: Mary Rose replica (updated with full draw)  (Read 40693 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Mary Rose replica (updated with full draw)
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:51:50 pm »
...before you start complaining about measurements - yes, this one follows exact measurements taken from an original MR bow :P
The measurements are from Bow A in Secrets of the English Warbow. - which means it is 75" between the string nocks.
The nocks are buffalo, but I think they should be reasonably good both in shape and size.

The bow weighs 36 oz, and according to Badgers Mass Formula, it should withstand 120 pounds at 30 inches. Some of you might remember my "replica" 55#@28"/70#@34" MR bow - this is the sister stave. One deflexed and one reflexed. This one, however, seems to become quite a bit heavier - at least over 100#.

I have given the stave the measurements from the original, so it was nearly tillered before I put it on the tiller. There are some adjustments needed because of the difference in the staves, which I will touch up by only scraping the belly. - which means it will end up slightly destressed compared to the original.

Hoping to finish it within a few days.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:01:09 pm by kviljo »

Offline Ian.

Re: Mary Rose replica (pics)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:19:44 pm »
Loverly looking bow as allways, what weight do you think it will come out at
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 06:22:34 pm »
Very nice looking bow.

Craig.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 06:41:10 pm »
So this is what you've been working on instead of those horn sinew composites. I can't wait to see this one and the other ones finished. Hopefully I will be able to make my own someday.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:45:00 pm »
On a side note what sort of distances can your yew bows achieve kviljo, the grain is all nice and tight it does look like quality yew.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:43:27 pm »
Thanks, guys.

I'm pretty sure it will land just over 100# @ 30".

Yep, Ryoon, I had to do something in the meantime while I wait for more hide glue. :) I'll probably make a topic for my horn bows here in a while, if I manage to get one shooting.

Ian, I haven't really been putting my yew to the flight-test yet. I'm hesitating to make highly explosive bows out of yew, so my golden staves mostly end up as regular longbows. I'm hoping to make a recurved yew flightbow some time this winter, though. I've been getting some yew here and there, so the quality varies quite a bit. This one is quite light, but with nice colour and reasonably tight growth rings.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:56:16 pm »
This looks really nice!
Frank from Germany...

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:28 pm »
Man  that's real eye  candy:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Matthias Wiltschko

• Austria
    • Bow Building Online Classes
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 08:18:26 pm »
Very nice and clean work!
Bowyers are not flexible, they are elastic!

www.bowbuildingschool.com
www.bowwood.at

radius

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:59:01 pm »
i can appreciate the work that went into that.  Good one, man.

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:35:04 am »
Stunning bow!! Mind if I ask How thick are the horn tips ? .

Offline Jaro

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 03:48:52 am »
Kviljo, that is fine. One question, could you measure for reference the width taper of last 10" of the limbs in step of 2" for reference?

I think there is some potential of wood removal there.
Good hit on the nocks.

Jaro

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 08:28:39 am »
That's nice of you, folks :)

Jaro, you should get the book by Hugh Soar. There's good measurements of two bows in there.

I must say I really wanted to scrape off a lot of wood near the tips. The tiller it has from the measurements are way too stiff-tipped. If it is going to break, it will be near the handle. I think the original is the black bow with the two natural deflex bends at midlimb, so that might be the reason it was tillered this way. I will make it bend slightly more towards the tips, but I won't remove the width as I think that is a more visible part of the reproduction.

I'll get back with the measurements of the tips.

Offline Jaro

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:42:58 am »
I have read that book and at least two people from the sam archery group I m contributed to it. But I never thought that we should copy blindly anything since no two pieces of wood are the same.
The black bow is favorite of my friend Alan Edwards. It must have been somebodys favorite bow, brought from home, since it does not look like all those fine quality weapons.

My commentary only touches the fact that my personall preference would be making the outer limbs lighter, unless I was  set on making exact dimensionall copy of certain bow - which doesnt have much sense if the wood is not of comparable stiffness.

Let us know how does it shoot.

Jaro

PS - I caught somebodys commentary on short Mary Rose bow, which is Tower - very thick, tapered, uninteresting stick, with surprisingly thick tips. Now that doesnt sound much like, unless it was originally longer bow, which was shortened, without the tips being actually shaved down, the job perhaps inexpertly done. That puts the whole "stiff tips" in different light entirelly, at least with some of the bows.

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 12:42:13 pm »
The stiffness/density of the wood is unknown, so how then should one go about making a replica, other than copying the dimentions and touching up the tiller by scraping the belly?

Regarding shortened bows - there could be a possibility that such a shortening would be visible on the surface of the bow, if the whole bow wasn't re-scraped totally.
However, I'm not quite sure, because even this black bow is supposed to have had the small ~12mm nocks. If it was shortened without re-tapering the limbs, the non-expert bowyer probably wouldn't fit such small nocks without being aware that the outer 10" of the limbs could be narrowed too?