Author Topic: Mary Rose replica (updated with full draw)  (Read 40861 times)

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
Re: Mary Rose replica (updated with full draw)
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »
PM sent so as not to divert from the beautiful bow.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 05:05:28 pm »

Excellent bow as always kviljo

I see you have not dared try a loop on your sidenock though ;-)

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 08:15:16 pm »

Excellent bow as always kviljo

I see you have not dared try a loop on your sidenock though ;-)

Speaking of which, does it weaken the string to bring it back through the loop, and then around the side nock? Also, are you using a timber hitch for the bottom nock? Thanks!

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:02 am »
I have used the same noose on my sidenocks with no problem at all (upto 140lb bow)
I have only recently found out how to use a loop with my sidenocks and have been telling kviljo about it, hence my pulling his leg about it here ;-)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:41 pm »
Thanks!

I guess there's no risk in trying a regular loop on this bow either, but I want to try it on a not so expensive bow first.

The ultimate would be to try it on a yew bow with cow horn nocks glued with hide glue, together with a linnen or hemp string. It should be done some day :)

The synthetic strings are usually way stronger than they need to be, but a plant fiber string would definitely not like to be wrapped around the nock as on my bow. Fairly good point. I'm sure they would have found a way around the problem if they really wanted a self-tightening loop, but why bother if a regular loop works and saves string material?

Challenge taken! This should be a goal for bow B, hehe :)

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »
Thanks!

I guess there's no risk in trying a regular loop on this bow either, but I want to try it on a not so expensive bow first.

The ultimate would be to try it on a yew bow with cow horn nocks glued with hide glue, together with a linnen or hemp string. It should be done some day :)

The synthetic strings are usually way stronger than they need to be, but a plant fiber string would definitely not like to be wrapped around the nock as on my bow. Fairly good point. I'm sure they would have found a way around the problem if they really wanted a self-tightening loop, but why bother if a regular loop works and saves string material?

Challenge taken! This should be a goal for bow B, hehe :)

I don’t understand what big problem you guys have with a normal loop with sidenocks. I have been using self sidenocks, and now cowhorn ones for decades, and it is a long time since I found a noose necessary.The loop should be a fairly close fit, and the nock should be cut in an inch above the edge of the horn, because if the loop allows the string to touch the wood, it won’t hold very well, in my experience, Alan. There is no danger to the bow even if it doesn’t hold, Kviljo. The loop won’t come out of the nock before the arrow is loosed.

Erik

Offline adb

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:25 pm »
Erik,
Can you show us some pics of your strings and side nocks? Thanks!

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 02:54:52 am »
I don’t understand what big problem you guys have with a normal loop with sidenocks. I have been using self sidenocks, and now cowhorn ones for decades, and it is a long time since I found a noose necessary.The loop should be a fairly close fit, and the nock should be cut in an inch above the edge of the horn, because if the loop allows the string to touch the wood, it won’t hold very well, in my experience, Alan. There is no danger to the bow even if it doesn’t hold, Kviljo. The loop won’t come out of the nock before the arrow is loosed.

The problem I had was that just looking at the nock it is very difficult to understand how the string will stay in the nock, so despite people telling me they are doing it and my belief this is how they would be used I just couldn't understand how it would work
once I finally met someone who was doing it and I could see it in real life then it was instantly clear how it works and there was no longer any problem

I have updated my sidenock page with pics of my 130lb bow using sidenocks and loop on string -  I hope that from these pics people can see how it works
www.alanesq.com/sidenock.htm
The string pulls down the side of the bow but stays in place
BTW - I use a bowyers knot on the bottom nock, but there is no reason you couldn't use a loop on both ends

As bow-toxo says, if you look at the picture of the bow at full draw, there is no way the string can come off
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:34:54 pm by alanesq »

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »
Just a note that I have now updated the above page with pics of a sidenock with second slot for stringer (on my 130lb yew bow)
this I can report works very well

Lombard

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 07:08:40 pm »
I don't come in here to often, but I am glad I did today. That is a really nice looking bow. Congratulations.

Randy

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »
That bow is beautiful!  Can you post a link of you shooting it?  The first war bow I saw and touched was made by Gary Davi, formerly with PA mag.  I said it looked like a walking stick that couldn't decide which end was up.  Then he let me pull, er, try to pull it.  It had wonderful tiller and I still covet it as well as yours.

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 01:55:53 pm »
:)

I don't have a video-camera any longer, and my video-editing skills are no good, so I guess the pictures will have to do. It is fairly smooth do draw as it has so little string follow. Although I must admit that this bow is about as much as I can shoot at the moment. Haven't been shooting regularly for over a year. Too buisy making bows...  8)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 05:26:45 am »

The problem I had was that just looking at the nock it is very difficult to understand how the string will stay in the nock, so despite people telling me they are doing it and my belief this is how they would be used I just couldn't understand how it would work
once I finally met someone who was doing it and I could see it in real life then it was instantly clear how it works and there was no longer any problem

I have updated my sidenock page with pics of my 130lb bow using sidenocks and loop on string -  I hope that from these pics people can see how it works
www.alanesq.com/sidenock.htm
The string pulls down the side of the bow but stays in place
BTW - I use a bowyers knot on the bottom nock, but there is no reason you couldn't use a loop on both ends

As bow-toxo says, if you look at the picture of the bow at full draw, there is no way the string can come off

Hi,
Great addition to your site, I hadn't seen that page before and I wasn't aware of that surviving nock thanks for bringing it to our attention and sharing the pics.
Del
BTW This longbow is a worthy winner of BOM, some how I'd missed it, else I'd have voted for it too.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 02:51:37 pm »
thats perty! ;D
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 04:30:51 pm »
Beautifull bow ... congratulations Kviljo I'm not surprised it's won awards.