Author Topic: School Talent Show  (Read 9249 times)

Offline Kegan

School Talent Show
« on: December 10, 2009, 06:43:24 pm »
Well, I signed up for the talent show to round-off my senior year... doing an archery exhibition! I made a point to talk to the principal earlier this summer, make sure everythings cleared with him (he was excstatic about the idea). I need some help though.

First, I'm using a home made "curtain" as a back drop (about 5' wide by 7' high) for my blunt arrows, but am unsure how I'm going to hang/stand it up. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Second, I have five minutes to do my act. So far, I know I want to do some wing shots- going from a 10" disc and hopefully finishing with a Lifesaver or jug cap or something. I also figured on doing a mirror shot, shooting behind me, and some out of position shots. Which leaves me needing a few more quick and flashy tricks? Not quite sure if I'll be able to do a candle shot or ricochet :P I need ideas to start practicing.

Thanks in advance- I'm getting excited ;D!

Offline Christophero

Re: School Talent Show
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:31:45 pm »
It is probable that the school has some sort of stand for their theater program that could hold the curtain.  Or hand a cable or rope from one wall to another wall and drape a heavy curtain or a piece of carpet as the back stop.
Start looking at all the youtube videos of trick shooting you can and go from there.  Have a great time!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:19:35 pm »
I have someone roll two targets from both right and left direction in quick succession drawing and shooting quickly..... foam targets with balloons on them are great for four quick shots that everyone can hear and see... also two quick shots with blunt fluflu arrows at candles gets their attention.. aim small miss small..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:04:58 am »
Kegan, 2" pvc pipe should work for a stand.  Make the base legs about 4 ft. long with a T in the middle the up rights with a L on top.  Any part that you don't glue together, I'd drill a hole in the joint and run a nail through it to prevent the stand from twisting and collasping.  You might need to tie a rope to both up rights at the bottom to prevent them from pushing away from each other with the weight of the curtain/carpet.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:53:42 pm »
Thanks all! My dad has some whit pine boards laying aorund in the back we can rip and make itno a frame. It'll most likely be pretty heavy, but at least the curtain shouldn't fall. I like the idea of PVC though.

So far, here's the routine. Now just to practice and time it all.

1. Out of Position Shots
 - "Indian Crouch"
 - Turning around backwards
 - Belly Shot
2. Snap a Pencil in Half
3. Shoot the Flame from a Candle
4. Mirror
5. Ricochet
6. Wing Shots
 - Balloon first
 - Plastic Container Lid (~7")
 - Clay Pidgeon/Small Plastic Lid
 - Life Saver

Thoughts?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 11:52:01 pm »
my one and only thought is

your taping this and putting it on you tube for the rest of right ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 05:49:05 pm »
I have to practice before hand so I'm having some friends watch and crtitique, and record on video for time. So I'll make sure it winds up here ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:57:35 pm by Kegan »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 06:34:45 pm »
cool beans 8)
cant wait to see it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:25:37 am »

exactly what i was gunna say. you must be one heck of a shot man!

have you ever seen the coke bottle opener shot? where you put a church key on the top of a coke bottle, lay the bottle on it's side, and shoot the chuch key, opening the bottle and letting it pour into a glass.

i know that one is kinda complicated, but if you could have it set up before hand, im sure you could hit it, and it would be cool!  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:58 pm »

exactly what i was gunna say. you must be one heck of a shot man!

have you ever seen the coke bottle opener shot? where you put a church key on the top of a coke bottle, lay the bottle on it's side, and shoot the chuch key, opening the bottle and letting it pour into a glass.

i know that one is kinda complicated, but if you could have it set up before hand, im sure you could hit it, and it would be cool!  ;D

I've seen the coke bottle! I like it, but with only five minutes and no bottle opener, I think I'll have to let that one go!

And my shooting isn't that great, but I'm getting there. Most of the stuff is only five pace shots ;D

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »
Glad too see your school is letting you do that - good luck, lookin' forward to the video!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 05:49:32 pm »
oh cool. i forgot about the five minute thing. cant wait to see your shooting man!
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 01:52:31 pm »
Thanks guys. Plan is to finish the curtain frame this weekend and get a target butt. The practice- and the video :)

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 08:38:11 pm »
Sounds like a great idea Kegan.Can't wait for the video. Shoot straight. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:31:45 pm »
Kegan, after you get this talent show under your belt, you know the next step, right?  America's got Talent.  I'll vote for you.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw