Author Topic: lost arrows  (Read 11276 times)

Offline woodstick

Re: lost arrows
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 11:44:39 am »
they are made every day, thats the way i think now. and if you shoot as bad as i do you get good at finding them. so keep missing and you will get better at finding them, then one day you will get better.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 03:51:22 pm »
If it's tipped with a trade point then quite a bit of time but for regular arrows no more than 5 mins. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 04:26:10 pm »
With the sandy soil and St. Augustine grass down here, they bury themselves, often.  My practice arrows have metal field points.  I've got a cheapo metal dector that saves me lotsa time.  With stone or bone, I just hope it sticks up outa the ground!
1’—>1’

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 04:32:08 pm »
I hunt for them a good bit, but I usually stump and hunt  in the woods near my house, so I sometimes find one that I lost months prior. I have at least 6 spots in my mind that I still look around when I'm near them for arrows that are "around here somewhere"....

I need make me that shepherd's crook, thanks, El D!

Goodun', Tsalagi   ; :D

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 10:09:07 am »
I have one of them hooks and it dose work good,I also use judo's for stumping,that also helps,any others like on a target range ,I will give it 5 minutes or so,then I get bored and move on.I don't usually go back and look later,all my arrows are wood of some description and left out in the weather and rain,they ant much good in a few weeks anyway.  :) I will go for weeks and not loose any ,then 4 or 5 broke or lost in one day. :) I just wished I had a penny for every arrow I have lost or broke in my life,I wouldn't be here at work right now. :) ;D ;D I would be at the cabin making arrows. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 04:59:49 pm »
I use white plastic nocs and one white feather then I concentrate real hard on the arrow when I shoot and I can usually find them in a matter of minutes.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline BearG

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 05:45:35 pm »
Make them to break them. Shoot them to lose them.   Thats what I was told by a old timer.  But now they cost to much to use that advise. ;D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline fencepost

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 06:33:49 pm »
If you are worried about loosing arrows you wont shoot as much. It only takes a few lost arrows improve your shooting or backstop.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 09:20:01 pm »
...   The worst loss is if you ricochet one of the back of a foam 3 d target.  I swear they pick up speed and go any direction at that point.

Yes, they do!
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 09:21:45 pm »
JH, did you ever consider to use one of those? - Fluorescent fletching and Judo points??

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 10:04:01 pm »
The  problem  with   bright  fletching is  it gives  you  away,
I  started  using bright  bands cresting  below  the  top  of  my  quiver  so  they aren't visible  while
tucked  in  the  quiver
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 12:20:36 am »
 Fencepost, if you worry about losing them you won't shoot much? I agree, practice more, and pick your shots better.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Scowler

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 11:07:15 am »
I'll look for 2-3 minutes.  It does take some time to make a good arrow but I try not to get too wrapped up lamenting the loss.  Its only an arrow after all.  You can always make more.  Besides, making arrows is fun.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 12:12:01 pm »
Im gonna start doing all my shooting in side the barn,that way I wont miss,& no lost arras. ;)
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 03:02:23 pm »
Look on the bright side. The ones you find, which is most of them most of the time, you can re-use them. With firearms, once the trigger is pulled, there goes a dime or more and you cannot get it back! Yeah, you can reload the brass, but it's not like archery. We don't have to refletch the shaft each and every time we shoot!  ;D

Man, once the cheap military surplus ammo ran out, I cleaned my rifles, put them away, and now do archery only.
Living a dream...