Author Topic: lost arrows  (Read 11277 times)

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
Re: lost arrows
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 03:21:16 pm »
  Most of mine that go wild I`m able to find after a short hunt, but those that decide to stay lost get their way.
 I make more than I use most of the time so it`s not thet great a loss.
  Speaking of cheap ammo, anyone know where I can find a brick of .22 WRF shells? they`re not LR`s, Longs, etc.
these things were like the original .22 Mag, but they won`t interchange with those things, they`re about 1/10"
shorter than Mag. ammo.  I might be able to have the gun rechambered for Mag. but it was my granddad`s gun &
I don`t wanna change it if I can avoid it.
  I know that this isn`t a gun forum, but since it was brought up, I thought I might get an answer here anyway.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48:58 pm »
Yes, you can get it at Cabela's, new manufacture by CCI, JHPs in fact. The rise in popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting has led to the return of what used to be obsolete calibers. Manufacturers are making new ammo for a lot of old calibers now.

Hmmm....Cowboy Action Shooting....wish we could get a Primitive Archery Action Shooting thing started.
Living a dream...

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:45 am »
Funny story...

I've been doing an archery demo at Lecompton for the last few years. Made up some typical shoot shaft arrows,some with stone heads and some with metal trade points. Had some school kids there and they asked to see me shoot the "old time" arrows. I managed to miss with one of the trade point arrows and it went off into the "wilderness" by the encampment.
Kids were looking for it all weekend... I figure someone will find it someday and take it up to the museum in town. ;)

As for my regular arrows, I'll look for a few minutes and then just chalk up another offering to the arrow gods...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 03:41:00 am »

I'm with Shannon, I'm tighter than a crab's a$$, and that is waterproof!  I would look till I found it, or come back and look again, I have only lost a few, but it made me mad that I could not find them.  I once lost one after missing a shot at a little fork horned buck, in a place called Brown's Farm, south of me.  I had not practiced in some time, and I was in college at the time, and I used to practice at the college range, and I had the ranges down.  I thought.  Well I am following this path, and looking around, and I look up and there is this little buck feeding.  I got excited, and, started to draw back my bow, he was about ten yd.s away, and he looks up and sees me, well I am shaking, and I let loose, and the arrow goes haywire, and hits in a Myrtle bush, and the deer says, crap, and bolts.  Well I bleat, and he stops, and is standing broadside to me about 35-40yds, away.  Then it dawns on me, now what was the height I used on the target at the college, at that range......  Well I will just aim an inch high, just behind the shoulder.  Should be a killing shot, it hits the spine, or lungs,  or lower.  Well I am shaking, and I take a big breath, and calm down, and take good aim, and expertly in perfect form, release the string, and it is a perfect shot!  Yep, one inch high just behind the shoulder.  Well he bolts again, and again I bleat, he says something about my lack of parents, or something like that, and heads to Miami.  Well I found the first arrow, and it is in fine shape.  The second arrow, I can't find, so after an hour and a half, I head on back and walk up on a young doe, which is feeding on something absolutely delicious.  Her little tale is just going 90 mph!  So slowly walk up to her.  She has not yet looked up, anyway, I get to within five feet or so, and I am standing there watching her.  No, at that time you couldn't shoot does.  They changed it the next year.  Well she still hasn't looked yet, so finally I said, Is that really tasty?  She swung her head around, and then spun her whole body around, and just stared at me.  I said don't worry, you're safe, and walked back to the path, and I looked back, and she was following me, with this expression on her face, like " how the hell did you do that?!!"  Well later on during gun season, I found my arrow.  Not much good, but still had the satisfaction of finally finding it.  I haven't bow hunted since, but I am looking forward to getting back into it now.  And I will definitely be sure to practice before I go afield.  I still have my old bear Grizzly, 45#, re curve.  It is a really fast shooting little bow.  I also have a 50# bow that Eddie gave me that I would like to take a deer with.  Maybe from my front porch in Montana, as it wends it's way through the turkeys  ::)......Eddie you are more than welcome to get your Merriam's from my porch.... ;D

Wayne

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 03:31:04 pm »
Gotta use this great quote again:

"Arrows cost money!"
Living a dream...

Grunt

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »
Still cannot find that sweet tonkin boo arrow I bounced of my target into the rhododren patch two days ago. It snowed 16" last night. Might have to wait till spring. I'll keep looking.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:44 pm »
The nice thing about cedar shafts you can loose them under the leaves for a year or two and the wood is still good. The feathers are off and usually the field point is only rust but after a few days of drying and a little straightening it is ready for new fletching and point and to be shot again.
   The arrows I put the most work into, sourwood shoots, are rotted in a few weeks under the leaves.  >:(  Cane rots pretty quickly too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 12:19:54 pm »
Heckuva storm, eh Grunt? we got close to 20 up here in VA. hope you don't get the ice we're supposed to.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Grunt

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2009, 10:09:44 am »
Heckuva storm, eh Grunt? we got close to 20 up here in VA. hope you don't get the ice we're supposed to.

I've got little paths shoveled to the firewood pile, the garden shed, my others pottery studio, my studio and my targets. I'm standing closer to the target with all this snow. I'm also shooting some pretty worn arrows incase I have to go looking for another one. Got a little ice last night.

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 09:55:47 pm »
For stump shooting I've been using poplar dowels sanded to proper spine, self nocked, and fletched with spiral flu-flu made from feathers from a craft store and tipped with a lead weighted .38special casing.  The shafts get spray painted with flourescent orange.  Hard to loose, but when I do, or when they break I'm out conisderably less money.  Shafts are .59 cents to a buck a piece, .38 casings are ones that have already been shot and reloaded to the point that they are hardly serviceable.  Lead shot is cheap and a bag will last darned near a lifetime for this purpose. A bag of 3 whole feathers cost a buck fifty and can fletch 6 arrows (3 right hand and 3 left hand twist.)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:12 am »
Im gonna start doing all my shooting in side the barn,that way I wont miss,& no lost arras. ;)

I used to do just that.  Instead of searching for lost arrows, I spent time digging field points out of beams.:-\  Wasn't so bad after I switched to bullet points.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit