Author Topic: my first two  (Read 3091 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

my first two
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:25:19 pm »
these are my first two im not sur what the rock is i got two pounds of flakes and spall with my flint knapping kit they were done with an antler billet and copper flaker i went through almost the whole two pounds to get these two points

As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline sailordad

Re: my first two
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:11:50 pm »
not bad at all for first points
i think i went thru near 20# before i got one.i made lots of gravel over the last 11 months
looks like novaculite to me,but i aint no expert either.
you are going to go thru a lot of rock as you learn,this is a hobby of tonnage
i have been knapping only 11 months now and i know i have gone thru over 100# of rock and maybe more.
if youe get the chance to sit down with someone who knows what they are doing it will help immensly
knapp ins are great for this

now go get yourself some more rock and keep on whacking ;D
oh ya,dont forget to buy a real big box of band aids too cause the more you do this the more you will bleed
but every drop of blood is well worth the effort
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:28:35 pm »
Just a hundred pounds Tim?  I started 7 months ago and I've went through waaaay more than that. :-[
  I do believe the more rock you break, the better you'll get at it. But the best advice I can give is to sloooooow down and plan every flake. You don't have to go through a lot of rock to learn a lot. Ya just need absorb and apply what you learn from every flake you take.
 You're on your way. Just keep at it, and for sure watch all the knapping videos on Youtube you can.  There's a wealth of info there, and it doesn't cost a dime. 8)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:03:06 am »
 Those points look great. The best advice you will get is what Shannon is telling you. Slooow down. Look at Shannon's point and listen to what he says, he is slooow. I scared the crap out of him driving 70 mph in the jeep going hunting . I think my wife scared him worse going to the airport at 5 in the morning running 80. Guess there ain't that many NASCAR fans in Kentucky, and they move around a lot slower than us.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:08:43 am »
shannon

that why your so dang good,you go slow and youve been thru alot of rock
most of mine has been in slab form.
and i agree go slooooooooow,when i remember to do that that when i turn out i nice un
i gotta remember to do that more often
and definatly watch the you tube videos,most are excellent PaliomanJim helped me alot
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 12:20:44 am »
thanks for all the comments and advise i do need to slow down Ive noticed with both percussion and pressure flaking when i get in two much of a hurry i usually break what ever m working on into two pieces instead of removing a flake.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:56:40 am »
FLORIDIANS ARE NUTS! ;D

wvbowhntr, I keep a pile of nice take down points laying in front of me while I'm working.  All it takes is a quick glance over at them to remind me to slow down. When I don't pay attention to that pile...I add another one to it. ;)
 Tim, I've hauled off two big wheel barrel loads of debitage.  Of course, a lot of that was from spalling out nodules. But I'd say I've still worked over a hundred pounds.  Hell, I've broke close to that much :o
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:30:56 am »
FLORIDIANS ARE NUTS!  ;D
Now wait just a miniute........................some of us are just heat treated 8) 8)

I agree it takes lots of hits pounds of rocks and lots of time to get the feel of this ,so take it slow and when you knock a flake off put it back on the spall and look and see how it traveled.Sometimes you can get a better idea on how hard you have to hit,or if you need something heavier or lighter to hit it with.When in dought abrade
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:11:08 pm »
Yes it takes time patients and lost of rock. 
I have not finished a point in about 3 weeks. but i have busted maybe 100lbs of rock in the last 3 week. and all i have to show for it is 3 broke daggers 2 failed dagger and 5 or 6 ugly square bit axes..  But its ok because i am learning. What i am doing is all new to me Its totally different type of knapping.. But i know how to stitch and i know how to get a square edge and how control the square edge for the most part. And after learning how to do indirect knapping its really opened my horizon on what i can do with a piece of rock.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:28 am »

Floridians are nuts! :
     That isn't entirely true, some of us are legumes!  Anywho, yep slow is the way to go, abrade, abrade.  I still can't get a long point, or knife blade, or atlatle point, or wintu style, without breaking off the other barb.  I make a nice gravel bed though.  I did finally manage to make an atlatle point out of some Glass Butte Obsdian, but it is the first.  I still am trying to get a bigger arrow Head, and to thin them down.
Hang in there, it just takes time, and learning from your mistakes.  I have one piece of nice coral left, that I am leaving alone till I can knapp much better than I am at this point.  :'( But I learned, from my mistakes, so I guess I am progressing.  But just not at the pace I want to.  If you can find someone who is a knapper, get with them.  It is so much easier when you have an experienced knapper to watch, and ask questions, and get pointers.  I wish I could percussion flake.  I did make a little progress, with the obsidian, I have, but not enough to do what I want.  So keep at it, and your flakes look good.  Oh did the kit contain any band aids? ;D
                                                                                             Wayne

banoch

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 08:24:04 pm »
Good job you Mountaineer. I need to just get off my a$$ and try this too.

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:07:07 pm »
thanks for all the comments and advice.  I think I have found the only thing that is more addicting than making bows.   and Banoch mountaineers are always free!!