Author Topic: Eagle Feathers  (Read 19031 times)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: Eagle Feathers
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 03:29:06 pm »
El D, it goes without saying that tribal governments are corrupt----they're modeled after the U.S. federal government!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 05:15:01 pm »
El D, it goes without saying that tribal governments are corrupt----they're modeled after the U.S. federal government!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You said a mouthfull there for sure!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 07:36:55 pm »

Tsalagi, not to mention funded by the US government.... ::)

Wayne

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 09:03:16 pm »
Stickbender, that's what happens when you tell hunters they have to be farmers, as was the case with the Plains tribes. They had a totally self-reliant,  self-sufficient economy until Uncle Sam poked his nose in there. Same with my ancestors (except they had farms), before Trail of Tears. The old adage is: Leave well enough alone. HEY!!!!! That's a great idea for a primitive archery t-shirt! A picture of a primitive bow with the caption: "Leaving well enough alone for 10,000 years!" Slight snipe at compound bows, but, hey, it's all in fun and no one got hurt.  ;D
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 09:44:38 pm »
                                                               I like My Tee Shirt............ >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:27 pm »
Hey Michael C,
       I am not native American, heck I'm of French decent....my great, great, great grandaddy was probably trying to chase your women for all I know. I have a good friend who is though Mr. Jay Sam (Little River Band of Odawa) and I think he told me that different arrows (those for different purposes) used different types of fletching and arrow-heads as well. I believe he told me that for game hunting it was common to use buzzard or vulture feathers as they were supposed to resist blood damage better....not very appetizing but hey! Kind of like using Turtle Claw heads and "splinter heads" for War and saving the cutting points for hunting....anyway maybe if you want some arrows of personal significance you ought to make them and enjoy them....the reasons are personal to you.For what ever it's worth
Aanii
half eye

Offline stickbender

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »
     Tsalagi, when the greedy nit wits, in Washington, got a little graft, I mean campaign, greasing their palms, it sure seemed like a great idea to move people off of the lands they had been living on for thousands of years before the white man came along, with a better idea......so lets see now, there are these fine upstanding fellows, who have have graciously given me quite a generous campaign donation, and have simply asked if it would be feasible to remove, and relocate these non God fearing heathens, off of land that they don't have deeds for, and put them on land that no one in their right ming would try to cultivate, and make them take up farming, and stop them from teaching their young their heritage,traditions,language, religeon, and way of life.  Well I am sure that since they are used to the rural life that if they really put their minds, and backs to it they can make a go of it, and the fine upstanding citizens, who want to see me continue sticking, er, doing the best thing for America, will make good use of the land that the heathens were just letting go to waste.  Now, where did I put that bag of money.  Certainly not in the Freezer, it hasn't been invented yet  ;D.....Some things never change  ;)........But to play the devils advocate, The NA's themselves were not above running another tribe off of their ancestral lands, if they had the resources to do so, and it was a good hunting, and well watered land.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 01:32:06 am »
Hey Michael C,
       I am not native American, heck I'm of French decent....my great, great, great grandaddy was probably trying to chase your women for all I know. I have a good friend who is though Mr. Jay Sam (Little River Band of Odawa) and I think he told me that different arrows (those for different purposes) used different types of fletching and arrow-heads as well. I believe he told me that for game hunting it was common to use buzzard or vulture feathers as they were supposed to resist blood damage better....not very appetizing but hey! Kind of like using Turtle Claw heads and "splinter heads" for War and saving the cutting points for hunting....anyway maybe if you want some arrows of personal significance you ought to make them and enjoy them....the reasons are personal to you.For what ever it's worth
Aanii
half eye

I appreciate that :)

I still think it's interesting to see everyone's responses either way. The only ones I think are silly are the ones where people have obviously not read the thread and just put something after reading the initial post.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Traxx

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 04:14:23 am »
Michael,
You happen to know Eric Smith down there?I believe hes Chicasaw people too.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 04:47:38 am »
Michael,
You happen to know Eric Smith down there?I believe hes Chicasaw people too.

I don't know many Chickasaws, mostly plains tribes and Creeks. The majority of my friends are Comanche, Apache, Kiowa or a mix. I know a lot of Burgesses, Cables, Whitewolfs, Kadaysos, Pewewardys, Tieyahs, Saupitty, Harjos and Parkers, not many of my people though unless we are related. My family is from Hamiltons, Fixicos and Underwoods, no I don't think the Am. Idol girl is one of them, she may be but I've never seen her at a reunion :)
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 07:54:58 am »
To me a Eagle feather is just another feather, holds no signifigance whatsoever. If it were legal to use them I would but its not so I won't, nor will I pick one up if I find one.

As for what the goverment has done to the NA's,that discussion is political in nature and if it continues someones going to get their feathers ruffled, so why not just drop that aspect of the discussion.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Traxx

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 03:19:20 pm »
As for what the goverment has done to the NA's,that discussion is political in nature and if it continues someones going to get their feathers ruffled, so why not just drop that aspect of the discussion
I couldnt agree more!!!!!!!

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 03:55:37 pm »
Agreed! Sorry! :D
Living a dream...

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 04:59:00 pm »
Yeah no reason to bring up things that can't be changed by talking about them  ;D

I don't mind the idea of people voicing their opinions on the feather issue though. I think the legality of me using them has been resolved, but opinions are interesting to me, as long as they are followed by a reason. They don't have to be justifiable reasons according to anyone else but them, I guess that's what makes them opinions, but it helps to know where people are coming from.

There are some things that have been said that I don't agree with and there are some that I do agree with, but I like reading all of them. I might take a friendly issue with someone, just to keep them on their toes or to clarify what they are saying, but it's all in a friendly discussion. Some of you have PMed me to let me know how you feel or how this issue personally affects you and that is cool of you to share a bit of who you are. I appreciate the fact that all of you have given me your points of view. I don't think anyone has gotten out of line, but I am pretty thick skinned. Once you hit meat though watch out  >:D >:D >:D

Cicero

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2009, 05:01:06 pm »
 Michael, those Parkers sure get around. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?