Author Topic: I'd appreciate your advice  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Phil Rees

I'd appreciate your advice
« on: December 20, 2009, 06:35:27 am »
I recently completed a basic day's course in knapping and have to say enjoyed every second of it.
My dilema is ... I've been given a small amount of "Blue John". Blue John is Britains rarest mineral first discoverd at Castleton in Derbyshire by the Romans almost 2000 years ago. Castleton is the worlds only known deposits of this extremely rare and beautiful stone.
so should I
1. save this rare and precious stone untill I'm more experienced and competant ... or
2. appempt to craft an arrow head with my limited experience and skill

I look at the stone almost every day thinking should I have a go and possibly destroy a real gem or maybe I should put it in the hands of someone who'll make a much better job than me.

Help ....

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: I'd appreciate your advice
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 07:40:54 am »
I'm a beginner and have ruined LOTS of good stone.  My advice is save it for yourself until you are confident that you can get something out of it.  I have bucket of stuff like that myself.  Learn on cheap and plentifull rock.  Also try to make preforms out of all of your material first,  then go for actual finished pieces.  A friend told me this and it was the best advice I got.  You will not ruin as much stuff.  And to keep your arrow head fix up, make some small points from waste flakes.  Just a beginners opinion.
Traverse City, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:18:24 am »
Good advice Rick
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:29:53 am »
Blue John is a form of fluorite.  The fluorite I have from the States is not knappable.  I have a ton of beautiful purple fluorite, but about the only thing you can do with it is polish it up.  Yours may be different from the stuff I have, though.  Are you sure it is knappable?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:06:46 am »
Ricks advice is right on. I also recently started making gravel. Unless you are some sort of gifted knapper after one day, you will most likely turn the rock into gravel. It takes time to knock a point out of rock. I would save the good stuff until you feel comfortable. Ano0ther way to look at it is this.... is it rock you can easily replace. If not, I would bust up something else.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:56:00 pm »
I,d save for later unless your like Shannon a flintknapper from day one. Flintknapping for me was a slow learning curve an ruined a lot of stone in early years. Heck I,m still ruining a lot of rock. Just my .02 worth Bob

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 03:08:19 pm »
yup save the pretty,rare,high dollar stuff for when your skills can do it justice.
wish i would have done that with some stuff i have had the pleasure to ruin ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 04:57:42 pm »
now yer just being silly Bob ::)
 I agree with the others.  Save your best rock for when you can do it justice because really good rock is hard to come by.  I sure wish I'd slowed down a little bit when I first started. I can remember a few pieces of rock I wish I still had ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 05:35:35 pm »
I totally agree i tried to make a knfe from Obsidian mohagany and it was a messssssssssssss. ;D
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 06:08:13 pm »
Gentlemen
I feel a concensus arriving in your advice ... I think as this is a rare piece of rock, I have to establish as Jeff suggested wether or not it is actualy workable ... then I think I'll put it away untill I'm more confident in my abilities.
Gentleman ...as allways your comments and advice are most welcome and appreciated ...thank you all

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 06:18:28 pm »
To take this in a different direction, some guys will also cut their pricey or rare stone into slabs to limit the amount of waste.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 07:29:54 pm »
To take this in a different direction, some guys will also cut their pricey or rare stone into slabs to limit the amount of waste.

Justin ... is this something you'd recommend for a novice to use?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 07:33:50 pm »
i have only been knapping 11 months,i learned on slabs
i love working slabs because of the less waste.i am cheap and like to get the most usable stone for my $$$
i do like working spalls too
i have turned out pretty decent points,for a newbie,from both slabs and spalls.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 07:37:28 pm »
Slabs will spoil ya in a hurry. Yes, I agree there is a lot less waste and you can also earn alot about setting up platforms.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 09:23:58 pm »

Justin ... is this something you'd recommend for a novice to use?
I recommend whatever suits your personal taste.  ;D Yes, a beginner can do it. I still recommend learning on cheaper stone though, even if you slab the cheap stuff. Learning with slabs can be a handicap since it can make learning other meathods more frustrating. I wish I had learned to knap without slabs then used slabs on a more limited basis.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah