Author Topic: I'd appreciate your advice  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Newbow

Re: I'd appreciate your advice
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 03:22:03 pm »
Learning on slabs (plate glass, bottle bottoms, old CRT TV screens) is cheap and allows you to learn technique and control without worrying about centerline and inconvenient masses, etc.  When your slabs start to look pretty good, move "up" to spalls with their new challenges.  When you're comfortable with the spalls, then think about how to work your high value rock.  At that point you'll have a realistic idea of what you can do.  I'm sitting on a couple pounds of opal right now.  It isn't going to go anywhere and I don't plan to work it until I'm pretty sure I can do it justice.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 05:50:04 am »

Ditto to waiting, till your skills are up.  I was eager to try some beautiful coral slabs I had.  Well I have only one left.  And it is staying where it is.  The others are gravel.  If it is knappable, just tell it when the time is right, and you are capable of releasing it, the arrowhead, will emerge.  It's ok to talk to the rock.  I do it all the time.  You know, " You son a @#%$# !!!!I was almost finished with this side of the barb, when you decide to let the other side come off!!j  You dirty little Piker!  Etc.  Sometimes it is amazing at the new words you can come up with, and not have the slightest idea of what they mean exactly, except to represent your anger, and disappointment. ;)  I have quite a repertoire, of odd words.  ;D Sometimes I will practice them on myself, as I walk by the pile of gravel made from coral ::)........I would definitely agree to wait. There are a lot things to learn yet.  Shannon did seem to pull some ancestral gene out, and learned quite fast, and well.  As for slabs, try em, and also get with some one to learn to spall, and percussion knapp, to thin down the spalls, and do the final finish with pressure flaking.  Anyway, good luck, and don't let it be a sticky wicket in your progression to being a proficient knapper..... ;D

Wayne

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 08:29:45 pm »
i just want to know what it looks like...john

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 06:25:08 pm »
Gentlemen
The Blue John can wait .... as someone else quite rightly said ....it's not going anywhere
I'm going to carry on with natural rock and pre cut slabs untill ... I have a chat with the blue john as Wayne suggested and see how it feels

So ... once again gentlemen, many thanks for taking the time and for your advice.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 11:07:23 am »
Best of luck in your knapping endeavors, Horace. :)
There should be a lot of that good hard flint around for you to work on.
But I'm afraid Jeff is right about fluorspar not being knappable. It doesn't
have the right fracture or cleavage to knap.
The best way for you to work the Blue John Stone would be the same way
I worked this piece of super nice Gold Fire Sheen Obsidian..............
( I know, I know, this is cheatin'! ;))

Side A

Side B

Best of Luck, Joe