Author Topic: You made a bow out of WHAT!?  (Read 7618 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

You made a bow out of WHAT!?
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:11:53 am »
I thought the noobs (like myself) might be interested in hearing about all the experiments you "experienced" guys have conducted.  I know of a nice stand of understory caragana that's grown amazingly tall and straight, thinking of trying it out.  Which made me wonder, what's the wildest idea you tried, or the weirdest material you've made a bow out of?  And what was the result? 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DanaM

Re: You made a bow out of WHAT!?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:27:19 am »
Made a D bow of Sumac it lasted for about a year :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:35:40 am »
Yep Dana your the king of the offbeat wood. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:55:46 am »
Let's see. Australian pine, sassafras, yew, osage, red oak, white oak, elm, hop hornbeam, black locust, hickory, ash, maple, mulberry, poplar (lasted for 100 shots and then exploded). I think that's it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:00:41 am »
15 years ago it was, "You'll never believe that I just made a bow out of kiln dried red oak! Thanks to Tim Baker now everyone is stifling a yawn. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:30:40 am »
I'll admit, my tree identification is pretty poor. So when I started I did a "twig test". I would go up to a tree and pull the twig down, then let it go. Medium sized ones, especially with leaves for some reason, were the best bet. Those that snapped back got consideration (like hornbeam), those that slogged back were ignored (like silver maple). I always liked trying that on trees I had no idea about, and then come back and try to identify it :).

Offline wodpow

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 05:44:12 pm »
My wifes friend had rose of Sharon planted along the driveway that had been there for over 50 years. There was one nice straight trunk limb that was as big as a baseball. When I found out  she was going to take them out  I offered to help and cut the straight ones and set them to dry but not before I thinned the belly wood down to pith that wood really made me think, the bow I made shot really hard.  It had one mean looking back looked like a trolls bow all warty and knarlley. It broke when my nephew thought he would show us how strong he was and pulled it back about 32"or more.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:31:51 pm »
I would have to say...one trunk of a multi-trunked River Birch ....and I was told it would never work....... ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline shamus

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 10:47:52 am »
I've read about people making bows out of PVC.

Jim Fetrow made bows out of bamboo flooring.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:27 pm »
I read an article a while back about how to make a 40# bow out of fiberglass driveway markers from Lowes... Unfortunately I suspect the bow weighed nearly 40# too.  :D 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »
Years ago I cut a tree from one of our local swamps. very common willow like tree. I made the bow about 6ft long, 3" wide, looked like an elephant bow but only drew about 30#, maybe 3/4" thick. When it broke it just kind of popped, no splinters at all just a clean pop like I sawed it in half.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 05:22:19 pm »
first bow I made was with 6 fiberglass driveway markers.  took a couple tries to get the arrangement right for the "tiller" and draw weight.

It pulls about 25lb @ 22" and stacks hard after that to about 24"

Just a mess around bow...fun though.  bound with hemp and I made a hemp string for it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 09:55:36 am »
I made kids bows out of hardboard backed with cloth.
I've seen a bow made of concrete! Yes! It was in a concrete museum and it was made to show the properties of prestressed concrete, it had steel cables running through the concrete.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »
I made kids bows out of hardboard backed with cloth.
I've seen a bow made of concrete! Yes! It was in a concrete museum and it was made to show the properties of prestressed concrete, it had steel cables running through the concrete.
Del

wouldnt wat ot lug that thru the woods on an all day hunt.
byt ime ya got a shot youd be too damn tired to shoot it :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd