Author Topic: Wild boar hunting advice  (Read 13972 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Wild boar hunting advice
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:52:47 pm »
I will be hunting wild boar this Feb. hopefully with a selfbow, GMC is helping me build.  So, I need some advice for you expert boar hunters about arrows, pionts and arrow placement.  I'm hoping my bow comes in around 60 lbs.  I'll be looking to take a 200 to 250 pound pig.

Arrow placement--I've been told by firearm hunters that you should shoot a boar a little farther back than you would a deer, because of the thick cartilage/fat covering the rib cage.  But, since arrows pentrate better than bullets, would this be the case for shooting a boar with an arrow?

Points-- Would you use trade points or go with a grizzly style manufactured point.  My first thought is to glue in a grizzly style screw-in point into my bamboo shaft.  I can't knap so stone points are not an option, unless I made a trade with someone.  :)

Arrow/point weight--What do need to take a boar with a 60 lb bow?  Would the standard 10 grains per lb be a bit light?

Thanks for your help.  Pics of your pigs are welcome.  :)  Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wild boar hunting advice
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 05:21:30 pm »
I've never hunted hogs but I believe you want to shoot then low and tight against their elbow. Too high and you will hit the cartilage shield.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »
 If your broadhead is sharp it is not a problem to penetrate the shield. I shoot 125grns and Chris Cade shoots 140 to 160 grns I believe. I don't think it matters as long as it's scarey sharp and good shot placement. Then again, I hit one in the forehead a year ago with a Grizzley and the point stopped down in the neck area. It flipped on it's back and didn't move. As far as taking a 200- 250# pig, I'd shot the first one that comes along. Those big, old, nasty Boar hogs are poor to eat. They can taste like a fine pork chop that's been marinated with urine.  :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:02:45 pm »
I wanna go to Hawaii and hunt those big old pigs, perfect for me.. they are on an island so they can't get away! ;D 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:04:07 pm »
Thanks everyone for you input.

Mullet, I'm hoping at the close proximatey I'll need to be to shoot that I can tell if the pig has "boy parts"  :)  I've tasted a 350 boar (male).  I agree with your discription.

Hawk, for the sport, I'm with you.  Let's head to Hawaii.  No where did put that lottery ticket?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:24:49 pm »
It's a really good idea to shoot low, the body cavity is huge and collects a lot of blood, as well the thick fat hide does tend to close fast and stop the bleeding making traking hard.

a 2 blade is much better for shots into the non floating ribs area,  I had good luck shooting big Snuffers into the high back part of the lungs where the main artery runs along the back, with that shot they go down in no time

as for the 250 #ers, I don't know where you'll be hunting but here is real, real hard to find them, those old buggeres are smart, mainly nocturnal.

have fun, and shoot the first one that comes along  :D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:21 pm »
 yea, like Manny said, those big ones didn't get old and big being stupid. There are some places down in South Fla. that won't break the bank. A lot of them are 3 day hunts, for 150 bucks. But you have to feed yourself and stay in a motel. The Alexacarrie Plantation in Ga., has a great deal also. With on site accommodations.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:34:22 am »
Friends and family chipped in to buy me a pig hunt for my birthday at Clark Range, TN.  A couple of my friends have hunted there for the last 4 years.  By their accounts it's as close to hunting in the wild as you can get without traveling to South GA and FL.  It's not a "feeder lot" hunt.  Every year each of them have been charged by nasty hogs.  The hunt is on rugged mountain terrain of the Cumberland Plateau.  From what I understand wild pigs are trapped in FL and released on this 1000+ acres to supplement the natural reproductions. The only real difference between this and a wild hog hunt is the abundance of pigs.  So, I can be a little choosey as to what I shoot.  Oh, and the guide will get the pig out of the woods for us. :)  The first day will be a "spot and stalk" hunt, probably without a guide.  My friends know the terrain well and are allowed to hunt without the guide.  The second day we will be hunting with dogs.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 01:17:01 pm »
I will be hunting wild boar this Feb. hopefully with a selfbow, GMC is helping me build.  So, I need some advice for you expert boar hunters about arrows, pionts and arrow placement.  I'm hoping my bow comes in around 60 lbs.  I'll be looking to take a 200 to 250 pound pig.

Arrow placement--I've been told by firearm hunters that you should shoot a boar a little farther back than you would a deer, because of the thick cartilage/fat covering the rib cage.   But, since arrows pentrate better than bullets, would this be the case for shooting a boar with an arrow?

Points-- Would you use trade points or go with a grizzly style manufactured point.  My first thought is to glue in a grizzly style screw-in point into my bamboo shaft.  I can't knap so stone points are not an option, unless I made a trade with someone.  :)

Arrow/point weight--What do need to take a boar with a 60 lb bow?  Would the standard 10 grains per lb be a bit light?

If you aim on a hog where you would on a deer, you're gonna gut shoot him. On a deer, the ribcage is full of vitals. On a hog it's full of guts all the way up to the shoulder. The lungs and heart on a hog are lower and further forward than on a deer, pretty much covered by the front leg. If you hit behind the shoulder on a broadside hog, you didn't get vitals. Aim tight against the elbow when the hog has stepped and moved its leg forward, or only take quartering-away shots. The vital area on a pig is much smaller than a deer as well as being under the front leg.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 02:08:22 pm »

Arrow placement--I've been told by firearm hunters that you should shoot a boar a little farther back than you would a deer, because of the thick cartilage/fat covering the rib cage.   But, since arrows pentrate better than bullets, would this be the case for shooting a boar with an arrow?

If you aim on a hog where you would on a deer, you're gonna gut shoot him. On a deer, the ribcage is full of vitals. On a hog it's full of guts all the way up to the shoulder. The lungs and heart on a hog are lower and further forward than on a deer, pretty much covered by the front leg. If you hit behind the shoulder on a broadside hog, you didn't get vitals. Aim tight against the elbow when the hog has stepped and moved its leg forward, or only take quartering-away shots. The vital area on a pig is much smaller than a deer as well as being under the front leg.

i'm glad someone said it  :o  aim low and forward! middle of front leg, 1/3 the way up the body. tight behind elbow IF he steps forward. i'd be looking for 700gr of arrow. only a two blade head!

i have put some cape york boar hunts into a new thread in the 'anything else' section. if anyone is interested check them out.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:49:40 pm by otis.drum »
Cape York, Australia

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 06:52:27 pm »
Hillbilly and Otis, thanks so much.  I didn't know that's where a piggy kept his vitals.  That's important information for sure.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline woodstick

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 11:57:13 pm »
i like a quartering away shot slip it in behind the last rib right into the pump station.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 10:38:17 pm »
Hedge,we try to shoot pigs in the 150 # range,to eat,but with the bigger pigs,the size you 're referring to,shoot them right over the front leg,kinda low,and go for heart shots.If your arrows are heavy,and your points sharp,you wont have any trouble.You can slip an arrow into the vitals on a quartering away shot,but I'd refrain from the advise to stay back.Hogs have odd shaped lungs,like a inclined teardrop.Study their anatomy and you'll see where you need to hit. Hope y'all get some pigs and have a good time. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
here's a pic i memorized several years ago.  if you shoot behind the elbow, you will be lucky to find the hog.  it goes without sayings that you want a quick, clean kill.  hogs don't exactly run to the middle of a open field after being shot.  pappy can vouche for that fact. ;D  i've had great luck with 160gr. grizzly heads and obsidian points on 650-750gr. cane arrows.  if you hit a hog behind the elbow, you are in for a long and difficult trial. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 12:12:56 pm »
thanks Woodstick, PeterC and Mechslasher, for the advice.
I'm thinking I might should look for a piggy closer to 150# range; as I'm understanding the advice that's been given, pigs of this size will have a thinner shield plate?

Mechslasher and others what poundage is your bows?  Mine is 57# at 26.5 inch draw.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw