Author Topic: Wild boar hunting advice  (Read 13973 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Re: Wild boar hunting advice
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:27:35 pm »
my bows are between 55-60#'s.  you probably won't have a shot at a stationary target.  hogs move around alot and rarely stay still for more than a few seconds.  especailly if there is a crowd of them in one area.  the 50-75 pounders usually bounce around like billard balls after a hard break, so keep this in mind.  the first hog i killed was broadside at about 18 yards when i released the arrow.  by the time the arrow hit, he was facing me.  the arrow entered his throat and went through his chest.  eddie had a butt puckering moment when the hog took off running. ;D
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:51:41 pm »
I have some advantages on this hunt.  The 2 guys who are going with me, have hunted there 3 or 4 times.  So, they know the area.  Also, one of them will be hunting with a T/C .35mag pistol the other will be hunting with a Marlin .45-70.  They can back me up while I'm hanging from a tree limb with an angry pig nipping at my heels.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline PeteC

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 10:06:13 pm »
Between 50-60 # @26". Self-arrows range from 550 -700 grains with razor sharp trades. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline woodstick

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 10:17:01 pm »
i killed 2 last night i got a spot light permit and me and my daughter went out. had a blast.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 10:26:54 pm »
 I'm shooting between 55-65. Chris' pig did give me a pucker moment, Myself and the camera man had snuck in about ten yards when Chris shot. It took off straight at me and I richoceted an arrow off it's forehead, it stopped and fell over dead from Chris' heart shot. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 12:03:56 am »
Great story Mullet.  When will we seen the video?  :)  I'm just finishing up my boar bow.  Still working on getting the grips the way I want them.  It pulls 57 # at 26".  I'm trying to shoot it daily to build up strength.  It's amazing how much stronger 57# is compared to the 50# bow I was shooting.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw