Author Topic: An over optimistic goal, wish me luck  (Read 3338 times)

Offline hedgeapple

An over optimistic goal, wish me luck
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:32:22 am »
While at the cabin with a friend the mention of total lifetime harvest of deer came up.  I remember my 25th deer.  It was the biggest I've taken and it took me 18 hours of tracking to finally down that guy.  So, he was memorable.  With the aid of photos on the cabin wall, I was able to recall my deer seasons and harvests since then.  My standing right now is 49 deer on a pole.  My next deer will be #50.  My 50th birthday is Christmas Even.  My lofty goal is to take my 50th deer on my 50th birthday using my hickory bow.  Hopefully, the great spirits will honor me with this gift.  Wish me luck.

Whether it happens on my birthday. later this season or next year, I intend taking number 50 with a primitive bow. Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: An over optimistic goal, wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:47:53 am »
 Good on you brother, aim small miss small.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 07:10:38 am »
Good luck on that.Shoot straight. If you hunting area is like mine it is tough this time of year
 with a stick so that will make even sweeter. :) And Happy birthday,what a day to have your birthday on,you are in some good company. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:55:48 am »
Thanks Hawk and Pappy,
Pappy, deer have be scarce all season here.  The only deer I've seen on my farm was a doe while mowing.  I'll be hunting at my mother's.  I've seen about 12 there in as many outings.  There's a couple spots that if deer are moving through, they'll be funneled withing 15 yards. So, it all depends on wind and deer sign when I get there as to where I'll hunt.  And, I'll only get to hunt that afternoon.  It's all a lonnnggggg shot.  But, a day in the woods on my birthday is a good thing.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 06:12:08 am »
You bet it is,good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 10:09:58 am »
 Not sure how many deer I've taken total, lost track a long time ago.  But so far I've killed 5 bucks and 4 does with a primitive bow, and there ain't nothing like it. I wish you luck in your adventure!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 02:40:57 pm »
Well, no "birthday deer" yesterday.  But, it was still a good afternoon in the woods hunting the farm I grew up on.  There's some great memories there.  I still have until the end of bow season, Jan. 18 to take a deer.  I'll keep at with a primitive bow.  Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline BigErn

• Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 03:58:06 pm »
      HEY hedgeapple,
How many people can say they can hunt on the land they grew up on?I bet,not many!You are a lucky feller!Enjoy and savor every minute.My old home place has about six houses on it now.
                                                        Ernie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.