Author Topic: 2 feather vs. 3 feather fletching??  (Read 19862 times)

primitivehunter2

2 feather vs. 3 feather fletching??
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:50:43 pm »
which do you prefer and which works better for you? i have never tried a two feather fletch before and im just wondering if its worth trying.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: 2 feather vs. 3 feather fletching??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:03:49 am »
If you search the older threads here, there's a lot of info on this subject. Both styles are good, and the two-feather fletch if done right, flies great. I like the Eastern Woodlands style for two-feather fletching. It was used almost exclusively by most of the eastern tribes whose survival depended on their arrows flying true, which is a pretty good endorsement.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

primitivehunter2

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »
thanks hillbilly i will have to check out some of the old threads :)

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:46:48 pm »
I'm not great at fletching but I've done both two fletch and three fletch both with whole feathers.  Both fly smooth and straight.

I like the simplicity of the two fletch.

Arrow making is quite soothing and relaxing.

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:28:54 pm »
It depends on the application. I am partial to the Indian 2 fletch, as they perform very well and can handle broadheads. But they do slow the arrow considerably and reduce my distqance. Ifin I am shootin field points and want longer distances, I use the 3 fletch, which I find more effecient in shorter sizes. I have expeirmented with short 2 fletch, and have not been pleased with their performance. I do not shoot a heavy bow, only 53# @ 28". It seems at the longer distances, the long 2 fletch seem to parshute on me er somethin. The arrow is flyin great and just seems to run out a gas and falls out a the sky. I have not experimented to the fullest though. I bind the 2 fletch at the top and bottom of the fletchin, but not in the middle, leavin it to itself. Perhaps ifin I bond the 2 fletch all the way down, might reduce the parashootin?
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:07:30 am »
That's  suprising,  you would  think a  2  fletch  would  fly  faster  and  farther,  less friction
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:16:01 am »
ZeNBowyer,

I think you have that wrong. 2 long fletches (bound only at ends) = higher friction than 3 short fully glued fletches, therefore slower and shorter flight.

Friction is a function not only of the total area of fletching but is also caused by the method of binding, the stiffness or otherwise of the feather and the shape of the feather and its trailing edges,

Craig.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:23:29 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 12:58:44 pm »
I've always shot the 'hand cut' three feathers in the traditional 'angle' cut and long for stability; usually 7" long with a straight scissors angled cut from nock end to tip and then wrapped at tip, through feather (1/4" of so spacing between wraps) and then wrapped down to base of the splined nock.  I just recently tried using two full length feathers instead (uncut) with a slight twist and wrapped as previously mentioned...at hunting distances, they fly straight and true and seemingly just as fast...they are a little noisier (prolly since they're uncut) but they are accurate and fly flat...boy, was I surprised.  I am sure I could get rid of the noise (air resistance) by trimming some of the 'soft' feather edge away but I'm loving the look and flilght stability and characteristics too much...
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 04:46:04 pm »
Since my bow is getting closer to finish i was searching for information and bumped into this topic. But when reading about noise i tought about owls because they fly soundless. So did annyone tryed to make fletchings with owl feathers?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 08:51:02 pm »
Since my bow is getting closer to finish i was searching for information and bumped into this topic. But when reading about noise i tought about owls because they fly soundless. So did annyone tryed to make fletchings with owl feathers?

Are owls off limits?  I know the feathers of raptors are off limits to non-Native Americans, which includes vultures who died of natural causes (learned that the hard way). 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 09:36:03 pm »
There are very few feathers you can legally use. Only game birds like turkey, goose, ducks, non-native birds, etc. No sea birds, song birds, and especially no raptors including owls. This has been a law since the early 1900's. Found feathers can be very expensive if you get caught.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 11:42:50 pm »
Whatever works for you!  2 fletch makes your feathers fletch more arrows - most all arrows have 3.  Be sure your turkey feathers aren't eagle!  Glue 'em, tape 'em, or wrap 'em, if they are secure, you can see if they hit where you ar looking!   (SH) :NN!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »
Bowhunting is illigal in our country annyways so when u do target shooting i think you can use Anny feathers you want. Not sure if there are tournament rules about it.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 07:19:16 pm »
the regulation on bird feathers here isn't about archery but game/hunting laws.

correct me if i'm wrong but the ban on owning non game bird feathers/body parts was because of their use in lady's hats at the time causing over hunting.

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 12:55:22 am »
Surface area is all that matters. Doesn't matter at all which fletching style you use.