Author Topic: Wood bows in extreeme cold  (Read 14619 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: Wood bows in extreeme cold
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 10:05:17 am »
I used to live in Fairbanks, AK a few years ago, and shot hickory bows with no problems at all at subzero temps.  Hickory is one of the few woods that actually do better at extremely low moisture levels though.  I would agree, after killing 4 DVD players due to static electrical discharge while living there, that lack of moisture is more of an issue than moisture freezing in the wood.  I made a few attempts at bows with the local birch, and found it extremely weak in compression.  They all chrysaled badly as soon as I hit 24" on the tree, with a 6" brace.  That may explain the under stressed Athabaskan designs.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 12:22:11 pm »
I used a Hickory backed Osage for hunting this year and it was below freezing most of the time.  The glue used was TB3 and it stood up well but the bow would follow the string quite a bit after staying braced for a couple hours, it seems to me that I have experienced that before with Osage bows.  The bow regained its reflex after sitting for a little while and I assumed that the oils in the wood didn't like being frozen.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 01:06:28 pm »
Great thread, I have shot all day at a three d tournament at - 33 degrees f.  I cant remember which bow I shot but it would have been an osage self or bamboo backed bow.  When I hunt snowshoe hair I have a reflex deflex hickory bow I like because it is light about 55 lbs so I can shoot with out glove or tab which makes shooting a little faster when you shake off your choppers.  I have never had any problems with bows in cold weather all the way down to -40 s .
Thanks, Chris

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 01:40:22 pm »
CHOPPERS.....now theres one I haven't heard in a few Years!! Where Ya from??  I still got my Choppers and Wool Liners from when I left Upper Michigandamned near 3 decades ago now....man I am getting Old!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:28 pm »
The elk-hide ones r the best. 
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline sailordad

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 09:42:07 pm »
CHOPPERS.....now theres one I haven't heard in a few Years!! Where Ya from??  I still got my Choppers and Wool Liners from when I left Upper Michigandamned near 3 decades ago now....man I am getting Old!!

yes,yes you are  >:D ;D

but then again,so am i :(  just ask my sons
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd