Author Topic: Tough year for deer huntin'  (Read 5050 times)

Offline PeteC

Tough year for deer huntin'
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:29:47 pm »
Well,that's it for the '09-'10 deer season here in Texas. Yesterday evening ended one of the most sluggish seasons we've had in a while.We had a new system this year in my county which allowed 2 bucks and 2 does.One buck with at least one un-branched antler,and one buck with a  minimum 13" inside spread.Besides the spike I took in October,I saw no other legal bucks the remainder of the season,and never got a shot opportunity at a doe either. We had a bumper crop of acorns and good rain which meant great browse and other food sources as well.The deer simply did'nt have to move much to feed,and they virtually disappeared from the places I hunt.I could'nt even get pictures on my game cam. But,I still am very blessed to have places to enjoy creation and its beauty.Last evening I hunted a lowland area which had some flooded areas near my spot,and had about 25 wood ducks come in about 40 yards from me,then stayed all evening.A barred owl showed up right before sundown,along with the ever-present cardinals,brown creepers,half a dozen species of woodpeckers,ruby crowned kinglets,nuthatches,phoebes,thrashers,thrushes,etc. etc. Well,you get the point.Man,I sure enjoy creation.Let me hear how y'alls season went this year.Now it's time to hunt pigs. ;)  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Tough year for deer huntin'
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:02:55 am »
I saw an 8 pointer in my back yard...went after it but it jumped the creek and took off with three does following it.

Next year I may hunt from my garage stand

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:10:28 am »
Just replied the same thing on Chris's thread but, it has been with out a doubt the worst deer hunting I've ever seen seen here in north western Pa.  I did manage to arrow a small 7 pointer, and actualy won two buck pools with it because no one else killed a buck!  ::) I never even had a decent shot opertunity on a doe this year in archery, gun, or muzzle loader season. Well our muzzle loader season is still in but we have over 3 feet of snow now.  The deer #'s are way down here this year and what deer we do have only seem to move after dark.  :P
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:20:13 pm »
Pete...it aint over Yet....unless you are only Hunting Antlers.........got the extended Spike and Doe Season till I beleive the 14th of the Month....check it out....I know that it's on for here....

Three Bucks and one Doe...so far...and two weeks to go....see Chris's thread for pcitures.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:35:59 pm »
No Mike ,we don't have that season over here.I should have said it was over for this neck of the woods. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:41:22 am »
Hey Pete,

Yeah, I agree with ya.  I had a really unlucky year this year too.  Not only for deer, but even for squirrels and rabbits.  I've not been able to hit a damn thing this year, and I think I made my arrows too stiff...that was affecting their flight which of course ruined my accuracy.  I've cut some more cane and I'll be making arrows out it soon...this time with less spine.  Just keep trying dude, when you finally connect it will be a feeling unlike any other.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:18:33 pm »
No Mike ,we don't have that season over here.I should have said it was over for this neck of the woods. God Bless

Maybe not in Smith County...but Henderson.... Gregg......Cherokee....Rusk.... Upshur...Van Zant....Anderson all do...may be worth looking into.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline BearG

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »
My Indiana and Ohio hunting sucked as well this year.  I bet I haven't seen 20 deer from the stand all season.  Only got one shoot in archery and one in gun and missed both.  Missing with the bow didn't bother me but with a gun sure sucked.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 05:09:38 pm »
I was fortunate enough to take a few deer, but I definitely saw less deer while on stand than I have in years. The weather has really screwed up my trapping, too. I would have to say that 2009 was a crap year in many aspects.... :P
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 08:55:45 pm »
We have had some of the best deer hunting here in ND for the last6 or7 years that we have ever had with some great bucks taken but last year was a real bad winter and had 38% winter kill in my area,this last years season was poor to say the least.
Now is the good old days

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04:01 pm »
 This has actually been a good year for me. But getting on a new lease has helped. I didn't get a shot during archery but have dropped 3 with the smokepole. We still have two weeks left.

I just got invited to dog hunt in the morning. With it being as cold as it's going to be this weekend I might just do it. I can hang out near my truck and come out when the dogs start getting close.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:51:33 pm »
I found this to be a tough year also. I am new to this bow thing, but I have been out a lot and have not seen a deer while bow hunting yet. Took my Flintlock out during gun season and nothing seen then. I just went out for muzzleloading season and finally saw one at about 30 yards moving throught the woods but didn't present a shot. Did see about 8 running through the field beside my hunting area but nothin else. Still bow season for a few weeks. I'll keep enjoying the woods.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline BearG

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:33:07 am »
Well if its true ( and I have a hard time beleiving it) the owner of the land I hunt in Indiana was told by 3 guyes that live out around his property have see a mountain lion or some kind of very large cat with a very long tale.   I spent alot of time in those woods and have never seen any sign of a big cat,  but if it true that could explain the lack of deer.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 11:40:47 am »
Sometimes its hunting, sometimes it's "armed birdwatching"  ;D Better luck next year, I guess....had lots of chances, hunted off the ground mostly.  Had deer within 20 yds. 4 times  but couldn't seal the deal. went out with a .308 and snuck up on a spiker at the end of rifle season, though. hopefully new land where i got him will pan out - has lots of cedars to hide in, & plenty of buck sign can't wait for October!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 12:27:04 pm »
North TX was good Pete. Those few cold snaps we had late brought em out. Didn't get any antlers this year but was just meat huntin mostly anyway. Freezer's full :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.