Author Topic: Short Draw?  (Read 14081 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Short Draw?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 11:06:31 am »
im 6'5"-ish and draw 28.  ;D

josh yer a pretty big critter to!
lets just shoot it

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:10 am »
im 6'5"-ish and draw 28.  ;D

josh yer a pretty big critter to!

You are a pretty large mammal yerself there recurve!   ;D  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 12:19:01 pm »
 My son and I have the same draw length, he is 6'4" I am 5'7'  we both draw exactly 26 1/2" we also have the same arm span almost his is about 1" longer than mine. Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:28 pm »
                                                    You Ole Knucke Dragger You........ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 12:51:08 pm »
I must have some long arms.  5' 11"   29" draw
Nate Danforth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 12:53:32 pm »
I'm about 5-7 and draw 25/26 I broke both elbows 37 years ago in 6 or 7 places and my arms won't straighten all the way out ,so that's what I use as an excuse for such a short draw. Short draws are OK if you can hit what you want but I can tell you longer draws are much better for penetration.I shoot with a guy with a full 28 inch draw,we have shot many times with bows that are 50lbs.at our draw lengths,his 50@28 mine 50@25 and his arrows will out penetrate mine every time,guess it's the power stroke,the length of time the arrow is on the string,That why I have been working on getting a longer draw for the last couple of years.Love to get out to at least 27.It also makes getting heaver arrows spined  right for the bow without leaving them way to long. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PeteC

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 09:47:49 am »
I agree with Kegan when he mentioned his accuracy greatly improved when he stretched his drawlenght.It is a little different aspect of " working harder" to improve your shooting. It works,but it takes yet another step of focus to make it work,which ,is quite a handful for this old "set in my ways" hoss.   ;)  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Scowler

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 01:03:31 pm »
I have tried several times to lenghen my draw.  I am initially sucessful but I land up hurting myself after a period of time.  Normally I start getting pain in my left shoulder (I'm a right-handed shooter) after about six months of using an extended draw (anchoring at or beyond the back of my jaw).  I've just learned to accept the fact that I shoot more comfortably when anchoring at the corner of my mouth.  Shorter draw lenghs are fine if that is what you are comfortable with.  Oh yeah, my wife doubled checked my draw lengh and it is 25", not 25.5".

Offline agd68

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 01:20:25 pm »
Coyote088, You fibber, we measured her draw for a bow I had made for her and it was 19" not 22" >:D                         
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 03:45:42 pm »
6'2" with a 78" armspan, should put me somewhere around 30" draw but im comfortable around 27 or 28

-Ky
GBR!

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »
With 5feet 10" I'm comfortable with 26-27 inch drawlength.....

Offline Scowler

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 10:05:22 pm »
Decided to try to work on extending my draw lengh, again.  Got a light poundage flatbow (30# @ 28") and really worked on my back tension when drawing the bow.  I was able to get a 27" draw even after 45 minutes of shooting.  Hopefully I won't incure any injuries but since I'm only pulling 27# I doubt it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »
I've been doing the same thing scowler :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »
a lot of the normal 28" draw info comes from modern recurves. with the deep riser it pushes the back of the bow further from your hand increasing the draw length. the power stroke still remains the same because it only comes from the palm of your hand to your anchor which wont change much, except for wrist angle. im 27 on a glass recurve with a high wrist and full back tension at anchor. on a primitive  flat dbow that'll drop to 25. im 5' 8". i think body width and strength also comes into play. on heavy bows form tends to fail a bit and we allow our chest cavity to collapse. honestly measure your draw with a 65 lb then do it with a 30 lber and you will gain some with the light bow. i can throw hundred lb kettlebells around all day but only hunt with a 45-50 lb bow. its effective, allows me to hit full draw, and even after sitting in 0 degree weather for hours or working i can still hit anchor. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Keenan

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 01:36:21 pm »
Good point Jamie, Hitting draw weight confortably is what is going to count when the moment of truth comes.   

5'5 and my draw is 25" If I stretch it and concentrate on hitting full draw.  I can hit 26 or 27" when I stretch it begind my head but them welts on the back of the ears hurt like the dickens. ;D

One reason why most my bows are shorter draw lengths.  If building a bow for someone and they have a 25 or 26" draw I tiller it to one inch past.  Yes it increases the chance that someone will eventually draw to 28 and bow it up but I think it better to only go one inch past intended shooting range.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:40:07 pm by Keenan »