Author Topic: Short Draw?  (Read 14080 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: Short Draw?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 02:33:40 pm »
AMO draw is measured from the deepest part of the grip + 1 3/4". On most of my longbows I like my handles that deep anyway, but in the end the power stroke is the same (though the stress on the bow isn't!)

Last season I went hunting with an 85# bow and on the only two shots, after being cold and irritated, managed full draw with ease. But it's not fun to practice with so in the end my form winds up suffering "at the moment of truth" I'm sure! :-X
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:26:02 am by Kegan »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 01:27:59 am »
                                                        Shoot a Lighter Bow............... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

kenn1320

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 02:17:00 pm »
 Im 6'3" and shoot a 28" draw. I learned to use a more open stance when I had a wheel bow. I carried that form over to my longbow and it works for me. I see several mentions of longer draw lengths being better. What is the reasoning behind that?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »
 Ken a longer draw gives a longer (power stroke). This gives the arrow more time to gain speed and absorb more energy from the bow.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 06:27:38 pm »
Besides making a same-weight-bow more powerful than another with a shorter draw, a longer draw gives you better alignment. It's easier to get your arm in line with the arrow and your shoulders in line with your bow arm. Once an archer becomes accustomed to using a longer draw, they won't have to exert as much energy because now your bone structure is supporting the weight of the bow, and not your muscles. Of course, there's always a limit to this, as you don't want to overextend and get in the way of the string, but this is the only real negative to trying to find your full draw length.

Therefore a longer drwa is better because it gives you a power boost and improves your shooting.