Author Topic: is it legal to hunt with an atlatl?  (Read 18257 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: is it legal to hunt with an atlatl?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 01:43:09 pm »
i plan to hunt rabbits with one this year, but here in Pennsylvania they were gonna try and legalize it but the...idjits at the game and fish department didnt understand or try, i think, to understand, it wasnt a store bought weapon so they prob. didnt trust it.  ;D these guys displayed accurate hunting tactics too yet they still wouldnt let them hunt with them.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline uwe

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:16 pm »
This thread wakes up an idea! Its forbidden to hunt with bow s in Germany, but Atlatl....? ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 01:54:40 pm »
I don't get that whole thing about "you can't hunt with a bow & arrow in England and most of Europe." Why the hell not? As we all know, success rates are lower than gun hunting. I don't get it.

As far as atlatls go, I made one once, and messed with darts until they would fly well, but holy crap, it's really hard being accurate!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 03:45:51 pm »
And try to keep the Hand Movement down to where a Buck won't spot you when you loose that Shaft.......and good Luck!!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:12:10 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 12:00:51 am »
  Short shafts and hand movement. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

gene roberts

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 12:27:08 pm »
I am pretty sure that here in Alabama you can use them for big game.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 04:40:34 pm »
yeah in illinois i know theres no projectiles allowed, at least in my town, but barney, the local cop, has played airsoft with us before ;D for big game, im not real sure, but i would assume its legal for like rabbit, carp, ect. and i'd bet money that the restrictions would get easier as you go more south, because you're allowed to hunt with flintknapped heads in the carolinas. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

bilder

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:58 pm »
You can hunt with an Atlatal in Alaska.  Big and small game. 

Up here, if you can hunt it with a rifle, you can use a spear, atlatal, etc.

A guy up here has killed black bears with a spear.

Offline longfletch

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 03:17:12 pm »
in the thudscave list, it says NC cannot hunt or fish with an atlatl ...but i know you can spear flounder, stingray, and i think sharks. so if you just say your spearfishing its probably legal, maybe the word "atlatl" is just a spooky word that alot of people dont understand, so they say it cant be legal ;D
i like poetry, long walks and the beach and poking dead things with a stick

Offline Dale

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 10:14:26 pm »
My son has made a couple of atlatles, and he can throw them pretty far.  I tried his and both the atlatl and dart ended up on the ground about a yard in front me.

At Pinson Mounds State Park south of Jackson TN., the guides put on atlatl demonstrations.  I was able to throw theirs pretty well.

Dale

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:10 pm »
Missouri has legalized atlatl use while hunting squirrel, rabbit, and rough fish with proper permits.  As of 2010 it now has permitted use of an atlatl to hunt deer during its firearms deer season.  I have not heard if anyone harvested a deer yet using this method, but firearms season is over.  i expect the regulation to be the same for next year.