Author Topic: ATLATL pics thread.....  (Read 29744 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: ATLATL pics thread.....
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 01:04:35 pm »
I have tried several different types,  but usuallly make pretty simple basketmaker -type atlatls. Haven't done much throwing lately, nned to get back at it. A forked stick makes a pretty efficient atlatl for that matter check out this thread: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13190.0.htmlI threw a crooked dart about a hundred yards with the expedient stick atlatl I made.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:52:46 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 03:37:58 pm »
heres one i threw together osage and switchcane

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »
yes i know cane is green , made just for the picture , waiting for them to dry

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 10:50:02 am »
Here are some shots of a plush cave atlatl I made for the Xmas trade. It is made of birch, with red ochre for the slot.

This style is really easy to toss with, as the long slot guides the dart to the spur. You dont have to fumble getting ready.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 11:56:20 pm »

Offline carbinecasey

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 05:14:17 pm »
The ATLATL is one coolest weapons I have ever seen!! I know this may be a stupid question, but could someone give me some information on how to make this in a simple way? It may look very simple, but I gotta try and build one!! Any information would be helpful!!! Or just e-mail it to my address willisburg3@aol.com

Carbinecasey
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:28:05 pm by carbinecasey »

Offline aero86

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 06:35:41 pm »
heres mine that i made in two minutes when hunting for some cane.  it even threw some fresh cane pretty well.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 07:28:31 pm »
Allright guys - never thought I'd be a spear chunker but this is getting pretty interesting. I'm stopping by the cane patch again tomorrow for bigger than arrow size cane..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline aero86

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:01 pm »
I didn't think so either cowboy until I watched a video last Friday. Then it just stuck, and I found me about 10 canes I'm drying out
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Dane

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 01:13:53 pm »
One of the nice things about making atlatls is you have a use for what remains of bows that explode :) Seriously, it is really relaxing work compared to making a bow, and there are myriad styles and examples from all over the world you can base your work on. A survival atlatl is as simple as finding the correct branch with a smaller branch to act as the spur, do a few minutes of whittling, and you are in business.

I don’t live in an area that cane grows in naturally (chilly, rocky New England), so I get mine from a local garden store. The cute girl behind the counter probably was wondering why I kept coming back for so much of the long 6’ stakes (he’s really into tomatoes?), so I finally explained that I was making atlatl darts. I got that look. I’m sure you are familiar with it. Her admiration for me as a gardener evaporated, but that is cool, as I am married. :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »
Hey guys!!
Sorry ive been away for a couple months but i look forward to starting a new atlatl soon. Anybody got pics of new builds?
Matt
OsiYo Tsalagi

bowkee

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 03:30:08 am »
How Cool, I like the ones with the Carved Spurs, easier to load. :)

Offline aero86

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 07:29:13 pm »
i havent built any lately, though ive been making a few darts.  once i figure out you can use dowels and splice them together, makes it much easier to make your own!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 02:23:42 am »
i like those things alot. i cant hit much with them, but if a feller was lost or whatever, a sharp pice of anything to do a little cutting with, and you can have a pretty deadly weapon pretty fast and pretty easy. and i love that.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Chad Bower

• ~Odins' wisdom ,Thors' strength , Freyas' love.~
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 03:30:01 am »
Good stuff ! I built my first handle awhile back and cant seem to get the darts right...any rule of thumb on how long they should be ?
~ 45,000 years ago the bow was invented. The bow is the history of mankind.~

Don't just exsist  , live , everyday to the fullest.

Chad "Wolf Among Dogs" Bower