Author Topic: using both sides of the feather?  (Read 8415 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
using both sides of the feather?
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:48:29 pm »
another question from a novice arrow maker, if the feather has enough material on either side of the central spine , such as in big tail feathers, can both sides be used, on the same arrow??
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: using both sides of the feather?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:54:13 pm »
Both sides can be used, but not on the same arrow. The offside of a right-wing feather will behave like a left-wing feather. Same with tailfeathers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »
thanks a lot Hillbilly, for both answers, just what I needed to know, I've always bought feathers and stuck them on straight  but now its time to learn arrow making skills
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:27:39 pm »
 When I'm using tail feathers, I use the whole feather. One on each side for two fletch.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:51 pm »
I just started making my own arrows.

I split some feathers and used the "top" for left wing fletchings, and used the "bottoms" to make spiral wrapped flu-flus.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:58:47 pm »
Mullet doesnt that contradict what Hillbilly said  above about using the 2 sides on the same arrow ??? or is it different for a 2 fletch? ???

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:53:50 pm »
If you lay the Feathers on in a Two Fletch pattern....both edges of the Feather are curled up away from the Shaft...on Both Feathers more or less making it a 4 fletch Arrow ...or if you do it like the Northeastern Tribes did...you split the Feather 3/4 of the way up...and only use both sides of the Feather at the Nock end....I am sure that someone has some good pictures of these two styles...If I keep yacking....I am going to be late for Work........ ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:37:19 pm »
Mullet doesnt that contradict what Hillbilly said  above about using the 2 sides on the same arrow ??? or is it different for a 2 fletch? ???

No, two-fletches are no different in requiring same-side feathers to fly well, but Eddie is talking about using two whole feathers for eastern woodland-style fletching (not split all the way.)  similar to these.
As you get away from the center of the tail, the feathers become more curved toward each side like wing feathers. There are left-side, right-side, and center tailfeathers, so even with tailfeathers you have to match sides unless it's the flat, even center ones..

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:45:23 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »
Now Eddie and Steve..........why dont ya make it simple for him .....use one tail feather ;D How ya doin' Steve ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:01:19 pm »
Howdy Bob!-now where's the fun in simplicity? ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 06:31:21 pm »
thanks for the imput, I must admit it has got a bit confusing ??? but if I use  all left hand sides of the tail feathers on one arrow and all the right sides together on another, I cant go wrong, right??? I will leave the 2fletch for now till i've matered the 3 fletch

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:17 pm »
dragonman, you should be good to go.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 12:09:19 am »
Here are a few more Cherokee style 2 fletch and a 2 fletch of my own design.

...and these are tapered ash arrows with 3 being fletched with right wing and 3 with left wing. They all fly well and I can't tell the difference when shot.  The one with the white fletch got Robin Hooded and I had to re-cut the nock and change the feather location.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 04:29:08 pm »
beautiful arrows Pat B, Hope mine turn out as good and thanks for all the help everyone

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 05:10:36 pm »
I just realized these tapered ash arrows are not the ones with the left and right wing feathers. These are fletched with miss matched commercial feathers but all left wing.  ::)

These are the ones I was meaning to post. The shafts are hill cane I had sent to Art Butner and he returned 6 finished arrows less the fletching. I fletched three of these with left wing feathers and 3 with right wing. I marked them with either red wrapping or blue wrapping.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC