Author Topic: using both sides of the feather?  (Read 8422 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: using both sides of the feather?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 06:14:36 pm »
even nicer, much nicer.!!!  what type of knocks are those Pat?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 06:33:22 pm »
They are self nocks, made with maple I think. That is Art's work there. All I did was fletch them.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »
These cane arrows are also footed with the same wood as the nocks. This method of footing was an experiment Art was trying. It is a tapered fit as was his usual but with these arrows have no wrapping at the joint of the cane and maple. You can't feel the transition seam but you can see the color change.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 07:34:17 pm »
cool arrows, that cane must be petyy strong then to not split on impact? what average wall thicness does it have? are the footing designed so that they can be replaced or aret hey permanent. I dont know if that type of cane grows over here? i'm gonna look into it because it looks like nice arrow making material I'll bet its light
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline artcher1

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:57 pm »
Dragonman, you need cane with at least medium thick walls for that conical foreshaft to work. Here's one that had an unfortunate accident (hit an iron stake) and as you can see, the cane fared quite well. Not so for the foreshaft, it split. Foreshaft was replaced and the set given away. No one the wiser ;D. ART

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 09:32:21 pm »
This is a native cane called hill cane that grown only in the Appalachian Mountains. It is related to our native switch cane and river cane. Arundaneria appalachiana, tecta and gigantia respectively. There may be a similar Japanese cane in the same genus.
 The wall thickness of the hill cane is about 1/3 the diameter or slightly less. This footing method is Art Butner's secret. He wanted me to try to mess these up. I haven't gone out of my way to ruin one but the joint is tough. The foreshaft is not intended to come out.  Some folks make they with detachable foreshafts but I use the cane for self arrows with self nocks and points hafted directly into or on to the cane.
  Another excellent arrow bamboo is Bambusa multiplex. It is a clumping type bamboo that is not invasive but only grows in warmer areas. A friend in Coastal South Carolina has a 100' hedge of bambusa. He divided a 50 year old clump that was only about 6' to 8' in diameter.  Thick wall culms and long internodes(12" to 14") so only 2 nodes per 30" arrow in some cases.

Art, you were typing while I was.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 09:46:12 pm »
Yeah, your hill cane is one of the better ones to use this method on Pat. Tonkin, switch cane and the bambusa works just as well. Probably work on hardwood shoot shafts with a centered pithy center like sourwood of multifora rose. Will have to try those. ART

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:21:48 am »
Art, is the joint just your standard taper joint?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 08:04:30 am »
That's correct Pat.

ART

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 03:03:17 pm »
Art.  Those arrows don't seem to have as long of a forewhat as some I have seen on you previous arrows?  Is this something new or just something you are trying?  I also noted that there is no wrapping on the splice????

Offline artcher1

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »
Purpose is really to reduce the shafts diameter suitable for todays point sizes Charles. The foreshafts also help eliminate nodes in that area that would otherwise interfere with my tapering tool. Much easier to taper wood than the cane itself. Keeping the foreshafts short creates less stress on the joints, or at least that's my thinking.

If you're after a specific spine weight and if a node happens to interfere with attaching your point then this is good method around that. ART