Author Topic: overstreet guide  (Read 8654 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: overstreet guide
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 03:06:21 pm »

Now do you get it Steven?  To me it looks like a very old POFR......same lines as in the other posts....first two letters stand for plain ol and the last letter stands for rock...... ::)  Do you see a pattern here yet?  Sorry Sailordad, but from the pictures it is what it looks like,......However, that does not conclude that it was not ever used as a tool.  It very well could have been a hide scraper, a nut cracker, (all types ;D), or it could have been thrown at someone, thereby making it a weapon, which is a tool.  So " Imagine if you will......" It's October, a slight tinge of winter in the crisp and clear air......an Indian encampment, in the birch, near a lake.  There are Birch Bark canoes, on the shore, and in the water with Indians, paddling to shore, with deer, and other food sources in their canoes.  On shore, the Women are preparing hides, and next to the fires, are Women and children, cooking wild rice, ducks, and wild onions.  One Woman asks another older Woman, in a rather, rude, and caustic manner, to toss that rock to her so she can pulverize some cattail roots.  The older Woman gives her a not so friendly look and tosses the rock to her.  Well ok she throws it at her, and clocks her just above the eyebrows, and knocks her out cold.  :o The other Women look at the old woman and say, Barking Squirrel, why you hit with Squatting Toad, with rock so hard it knocked little chips off of it?  And Barking Squirrel says, she needed it! ::)
So you see, even though it may not look like a well used tool, it could have been used well. ;D   
P.S.  You could use it as a tool......paper weight, a Wo Ti stone, (Good luck stone ) a hide scraper, a nut smacker......meat tenderizer, door stop, spacer to hold up the front porch, key hider, etc.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 03:50:44 pm »
 Jesse, I'm not sure, maybe an ugly F@#Kn rock? :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 04:45:45 pm »
OK, I bit and I get it. It is a S#X rock and I am a F@#Kn idiot.  :-[  But I did bag 8 snipe and I am hoping to find some way to use the feathers other than lining my mouth.  :) 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 04:47:28 pm »
I thought we had the nastiest, grainiest quartzite on the continent here, but I think you've got us beat, Tim. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »
For Sale: Neolithic Ice Scraper today only $5000 ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:00 pm »

Aww, don't feel so bad Steven, I'm sure you will find a use for that bag, and whistle. ;D  You might want to spit those feathers out first though...... ;)  You just have to understand the mind set on here......it is winter, and some are house bound, and some are just that way year round...... ::)
                                                                        Wayne

Offline warhawk

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 06:04:09 pm »
The idea behind overstreet is to give a general guideline to collectors who try to sale there artifacts and to help you identify your artifact. If you look  up a certain type, like a Dalton you will notice that next to the name there are references to other artifacts because they are called by a different names in other areas. I hoe this helps and that you concentrate on your collecting and not on some weird name that you really dint need to refer to.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:30 pm »
Hey, I don't feel bad. I now know the difference between a S#X stone and a S*!t stone.  And as soon as Tim brings the price down, I'm gonna buy it. I'm thinking I'm gonna put that sucker up on ebay as gen-u-wine Neolithic Ice Scraper and make a killen.  >:D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »
ok so its not  really anymore than a rock :(

well atleast i have gottne some eal god chuckles from reading the post from all of you  ;D :D

wayne your story made me laught so hard,i read it on my lunch break,i lamost spewed half of my sandwich onto my laptop screen
so after reading that,i am keeping ot for a conversation piece  ;) .
i am also going to print out your story wayne and tape it to the rock,that way ifn anyome asks about it i can tell them to just read the
historical document thats with it,total hilarity.

i really needed a good laugh today,and ya'll made sure i got one too.thank you

steven, i dont know why folks think snipe hunting ais a farce. we actually have season here in mn for them,no joke just check out the mn dnr website
            and sorry i dont plan on lowerein the price,or selling it even. i will treasure this s*#t rock for ever,thanks to you guys. ;D

thanks again everyone,i realy enjoyed your responses. i am still laughing about them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:26:20 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickbender

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 07:29:44 pm »

Well Sailordad, I am glad you got a laugh out of that.  :) I hope you didn't pass your sandwhich through your nose?  :P Yeah, you could use the story as an authentification doccument. ;)  Yep we have snipe season down here also.  Steve, they look like wood cock, only gray, to a gray tan like coloring, unlike the brown coloring the Woodcock has, but just as tasty! ;)  It has been a long time since I have hunted them, but they were fun.
                                                                      Wayne