Author Topic: first arrows and other first  (Read 4037 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

first arrows and other first
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:07:14 pm »
well i was board over the weekend and decided i would try my hand at making arrows for my bow. i used the three blade hack saw to cut the nocks in and then used a leatherman to finish the nocks out. DAD WOULD NOT LET ME USE HIS SWEDISH FILES ON THEM! :( >:(but it worked out in the end. i mad the two wood points out of apple and i made the shafts out of a dowel that i got at wally world. the blunt i made out of a apple branch that i had. the feathers are goose feathers that i got at a local fly tieing shop.( i do tie my own flies ;D.) The string for the wraps is a heavy dutie upholstery thread. The Quiver is two rabbit skins my mom got me when she was in the Bahamas. I also used the upholstery thread to sew that together.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:10:55 pm by 65x55 swedis »

Offline 65x55 swedis

Re: first arrows and other first
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »
here are some more detailed pictures of the heads and fletching. :D hope you like them all. the order of the pictures is arrow head,fletching. then fletching, arrow head. last but not least fleching then arrow head.

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »
last one :o i wanted to be thro.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:37:37 am »
Cool arrow/quiver,how dose it fly ? :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:25 pm »
well took them out last night and shot them for the fist time and they flew fast and true. well the heads also fell off after i tried to pull them out now this is what i am left with! >:( any advise on what i should do next time i tie on the heads?

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:54:47 pm »
well, if your just target shooting then dont use that type of point, just use blunt or field points..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »
Nice work.  Very good "firsts".  If you are going to put heads on try some pine pitch and sinew. 
Traverse City, MI

half eye

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:08:56 pm »
65 X 55,
      I see from your pics that you made the head slots pretty short, and it looks like all you used to haft the heads on was the heavy thread. Also it looks like you left the end of the shaft ears flat and did not taper them.
      Next time try making your slots about twice as deep as these first ones, then when you set the heads put some some slow setting epoxy between the head and slot (the 30 minuet epoxy should do you), then start to wrap with the twine. Upholstery thread will suck up the excess epoxy and not only bond on the head but also bond the thread as well. Any ecess epoxy that squishes out just smooth it down with your finger. When all that sets after about an hour give the threads a good coat of clear fingernail polish (it's really lacquer) In 24 hours that head will be tough as nails.
     One more thing the smaller wooden head you show in photo 108 has nearly perfect sized flukes, 104 are a little big (they drag when your taking the arrow out of the target)
     I make my arrows with hafted heads (steel trade points) and bind with artificial sinew (upholstery thread is probably tougher) and they get epoxy and nail polish. Here is a pick of a head that has about 500-550 shots on it, and only needed one touch-up with nail polish. Oh ya the slots for these heads is 1" deep.
half eye ;)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 07:30:24 pm »
i agree with rick, and half eye

with stone heads i haft with pine pitch and sinew.
notches should be deeper to seat the head better.
i have shot many of my stone tipped primiitve arrows in to my block 4x4 target,my bows arent super heavy bot in the 50lb-60lb range
at 12-15 yds they go in pretty deep,never left on inside of the block yet.well some of the store bought steel heads from my carbon shafts are there
but none of my stone ones
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd