Author Topic: more atlatl discussion  (Read 46327 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: more atlatl discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »
  I'm with SWAMP.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 11:58:15 pm »
In recent discussions with Larry Kinsella, he believes they were a counterbalance on the atl atl itslef. Used only as a method of offsetting the wieght of the dart while waiting to throw the dart.
He has studied deer movement and has determined that it takes a deer approx. 2 minutes to calm down if it is nervous.  Try this experiment. Hold your dart in FULL DRAW with an atlatl that is not weighted, for two minutes. Observe your arm fatigue and the ever lowering point of the dart.  Now hold one that has the weight on it. What does it do and how does it feel. I just last week at Flint Ridge did this very thing and it was quite striking the difference.   Must be a full draw. If you have a nervous deer in front of you you cannot afford the drawing motion needed to throw.

Read this:
http://www.flintknapper.com/Larry%27s%20SEAC%20paper.htm

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 01:15:10 am »
I find it funny that I can learn more about physics on this site than any of the books I've read, and the irony is in the name of the web site. You guys blow my mind on a daily basis.
Carry on you primitive minded bad asses

Offline wstanley

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 04:00:47 pm »
Purely ceremonial, to show status, cultural ... whatever you want to call it. Not sure why so much time would be put into a weight? Also, every bannerstone (finished) I've ever seen has a drilled hole no greater than a half inch in diameter... tell me that would be effective size for an atlatl hurling a long heavy dart? No way!

I believe they were simply on a staff to show a meaning/symbolic solely.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 04:14:22 pm by wstanley »

Offline willie

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 08:04:08 pm »
wstanley

bannerstones are always a good discussion, and I have not read much recently, so if you happen to know please share.

what is the evidence that connects the type of bannerstone you speak of,  to an atlatl? have they been they found in close proximity? has there been a find where they were still attached together?

thanks

Offline wstanley

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 03:58:32 pm »
willie,

Not sure I'm following what your asking? I am simply commenting that the shape of these things.... to me (I make atlatls and weights) it doesn't make sense that they were atlatl weights or silencers. I cannot comment on the context to how they are found. You would want to read an archaeological report where these were recovered, of which I'm sure there is plenty, to get an idea of their context with other artifacts.