Author Topic: Hand pads for pressure flaking.  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

Hand pads for pressure flaking.
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:39:20 pm »
I'm still trying to put together a basic flint knapping kit, so I went over to lowes to get a grinding wheel. While I was there I decided to look and see if I could find something to use as a hand pad for pressure flaking. They had just the thing over  near the concrete section. In the knee pad section they had solid rubber knee pads for about 9 dollars a pair. It looks like you can get 3 or 4 out of each one. The question I have is about how I should cut the groove and also what is the purpose of the groove? I would be thankful for any helpful info.

Offline StevenT

Re: Hand pads for pressure flaking.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:45:57 pm »
The grove allows a flake to run without touching anything. If you haven't cut up the pads yet..... another cheap source of hand pads would be the heels from some old shoes, especially old dress shoes.  Not familiar with the pads so not sure what you would use to put the groove in. I use a box knife to put the groove in my hand pads.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:22:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice Steven. I have already cut one of the pads up but will remember the shoe trick for the future. I knew I should have asked here first. Lesson learned.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:25:00 pm »
I don't use the rubber pads.. all i use anymore is just a folded up piece of lether.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:15:42 pm »
I find that the rubber pads are nice for working slabs.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:35 pm »
Piece of leather for me, too. I don't even have a seperate hand pad any more, I just use part of my leather leg pad.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:18:24 pm »
I break fewr pieces just using a piece of leather like Jesse does.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:42:34 am »
i use a thin pice of leather for pressure flakeing and a rubber pad for ishi-ing.
lets just shoot it