Author Topic: working glass.  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
Re: working glass.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 01:34:02 pm »
I`m not sure what it is, but I just take a damp rag & wipe it off.  If it`s lead wetting it should
(I hope) keep it from getting airborn so I`m not breathing it.  The coating on the glass behind
the screen is something like a painted on thermal coating to contain the heat from the tube.
  It`ll come off when you start your flaking whether percussion or pressure depending on your
working style.  Sometimes if a piece is small (1 1/2" or less)I`ll just pressure flake from a square
edge a couple passes to get some convexity. The flakes will normally run 1/4 way or more across
the pc.with a decent scar pattern if you space `em out.  Then abrade, grind to raise the working
edge for the face you`re working on before taking the second pass. 2 passes usually removes all
the coating & looks good. Shape to what you see in your mind & go from there.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »
The powder is Phosphor coating. It is used because when an electron beam hits it, it glows. I have read multiple reports, most of which say it it not toxic, but you should not breath the powder. Phosphor is used in a lot of other things, most commonly fertilizer. You wouldn't want to breath that stuff, but it is safe to use it on your grass. I use the glass out of old computer monitors. What I do after I break them open is to clean them out with a water hose, something like Ajax and one of those green scrubbers. I clean them out in the middle of my yard. Just take care not to spray water on it to fast in order to keep the dust down. Once you scrub them out real good, they are good to go.  The biggest heath warning associated with CRT screen or TV screens is the lead contained in the glass. Why do you think TV's are so heavy? One of the reasons is all the lead in the glass. It is the lead in the glass that make throwing away old TV's so difficult. I wouldn't let young kids around if you are napping TV glass. So basically, don't breath the dust and don't eat the glass and you should be OK.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 10:28:38 am »
don't eat the glass and you should be OK.

looks like im gunna have to find something els to put in my omlets in the morning now.  :(
lets just shoot it