Author Topic: Flipping tips.....  (Read 5582 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Flipping tips.....
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:48 am »
Thats what I found out with the Mystery Wood that My Christmas Storm Bow is made from...it cracked also when I dry Heat bent the Tips....so I reverse bent them...poured in the C/A Glue....took the String and braced it and let the Glue dry...then I wrapped the Tips with Backstrap Sinew and Hide Glue....it's a Keeper now...but I came close to making Kindling out of Her!! So from now on....it's Steam and Boiling for Whitewoods at my House too......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: Flipping tips.....
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 11:43:55 am »
I agree with Pappy.  I bend wood for musical instrument sides all the time, and seldom do it with dry heat.  Soak the wood - especially Ash - for a day or three.  Not the whole bow; just one tip - stand it in a pickle bucket.  If you want you can now boil the tip for awhile.  Then clamp the tip in your bending jig and start heating with your heat gun.  As the wood starts to dry, slather it with a wet rag. Gently apply the pressure to bend.  With ash as thick as a bow tip this is not a 15 minute job.  Your "calibrated" finger isn't very reliable for measuring heat penetration.  You can also wrap a wet rag over the area being bent and heat that - essentially a localized steaming.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service