Author Topic: Best all arround Cammo for everywhere?  (Read 37152 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Best all arround Cammo for everywhere?
« on: February 23, 2007, 01:20:46 am »
Well, I'm up here in WA and will be hunting with Agbowyer and White Wood in Texas in about a month (I think its along the Gulf Coas somewhere). Now I've looked on Cabelas and I've looked at Real Tree and Mossy Oaks sites and I am incredibly confused! Now what type of Cammo should I aim for? We will be hunting down in Texas end of March Beginning of April and I need to find the right cammo for the season. HELLLLPPPPP!!! Whats good? Whats bad?

Also, for that time of year in Texas should I get some light T-shirts or should I aim for something a bit warmer in a cammo pattern? Man, this is like buying my first car. Should I buy wreck one in red or wreck two in light rust color!  ;D

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

brokennock

Re: Best all arround Cammo for everywhere?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:43:52 am »
 If you want to go with commercial camo, the predator pattern in brown is good multi purpose camo, but a little hard to find. Day One camo has it but I'm sure a web search would find other places. The "eye-D" pattern in wool products from King of the Mountain is non-terrain specific. But may be a little warm. I like cabela's "guide" pattern better than any of the real-tree, tre-bark, mossy-sapling stuff.
 But really anything that breaks up your human outline and is quiet will do.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 01:54:17 pm »
Don't do it! Most of the camo clothes out there may look invisible, but usually make alot of sound when rubbed against sonething. And as far as the blending in goes, it really doesn't do it unles your hunting in areas that look just like what you're wearing other than breaking up your sillouette. A dark wool shirt and pants will do great, gray, black or brown. Something that won't stick out too much. For further concealment you might want to try having clothes that have pockets or something, so that the shadows wil break up the same color. Plaid works well too. Most of te time you can get way with a dark shirt and some "smudgings" on you arms and face (like dirt and ash). If you want to buy camo though, look for basic ones- brown and gray splotches, something that resembles the old millitary surplus wear. Grays and tans belnd in eevrywhere, with black and green right behind. Just break up your sillouette. Mot of the time newer camos are too specific that they can give you away when you are out in the open.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant :-[ :P!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 02:54:53 pm »
I'm with Keagan on this. I've been getting away from commercial camo. The only reason I like it is the style of cloths you can get in camo...BDU style pants with lots of pockets.  I think plaid flannel and wool shirts will work as well or better than store bought camo or even just plain drab earth tone colors with quiet material. If weather permits, you can't beat wool for warmth and quiet.
   I think concealing movement, working with the wind in your favor and preventing silhouetting will serve you better in the long run. Most commercial camo is made for the buyer, not to fool critters. I do like the predator type withn large squiggley paterns. I got 2 "T" shirts for my Colorado elk hunt from "Day One".   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 03:38:07 pm »
............I don't use commercial camo....-ITS LOUD....-Pat hit it on the head.Camo is made for the buyer NOT the critter. Case in point--the bobcat--master of camoflauge ! Has a yellow and black spotted coat ! Ever try to see one-almost impossible unless he moves. I use dutch army pants-slate gray with lots of pockets and its made out of moleskin-very quiet,a t-shirt long or short sleeve, od  or light brown. Hat is an old straw hat with brim trimmed or I make one out of palm fronds. As far as I am concerned silhouette and movement are more important than the wind direction as long as you don't eat meat the day you hunt or the day before. Don't buy clothes that have a shine to them-animal skins don't! Cuffs of pants are tied with string, mocs or high top sneakers. I only hunt from ground but I think some of these methods will work from treestands. Keegan and Pat are right-don't do it, waste of $ as far as Iam concerned and will leave you wondering why animal saw you !...........my 2 cents..........bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 06:35:53 pm »
Roll in mud and then in dry leaves  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 06:56:06 pm »
I think you need to ask the guys your hunting with what the area is like. (light or dark)  I do like commercial commo,  but I like to call coyotes and other predators.  I shop for clothes that don't make noise when you move and shades of color.  If you hunt certain areas around here you want something in the light tan and light brown, or light greys.  If you wear anything dark, or green, you will stick out like a sore thumb.  Other areas you can wear darker browns and greys, but still no greens or you are busted.  The most important thing is always going to be staying downwind and in the shadows whenever you can.  If the sun hits you or if you stand on top of the ridge your silhouette will stick out.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 09:06:13 pm »
So Flaming pink and florescent colors are ok as long as they are in Plaid?  ;D Just joking!  Picked up a couple of T-shirst in Cammo from Cabela's but I will bring some plaid and other clothing when I head there.

How about a Ghillie suit? Maybe I can get close enough to strangle em with my bare hands!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 09:51:28 pm »
    Your best all around Camo is......Don't Move. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 10:21:57 pm »
Mullet, does that go for when I'm being charged by an angry boar?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 02:03:28 am »
Mullet, does that go for when I'm being charged by an angry boar?
YES,  just let me know if it doesn't work so I dont try it.  ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

wolf among dogs

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 03:05:53 am »
ASAT..if ya dont like it or see more game wearin it they give ya your money back...works here in FL as well as in MI..The best way to beat any hunted animal is to first beat his "Nose" ..then worry about him seeing you...nose before eyes..if he cant smell you he isnt going to be looking for you either
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:08:52 am by wolf among dogs »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 10:48:02 am »
    I don't know,Never had a dead one charge me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 02:56:46 pm »
    Your best all around Camo is......Don't Move. ;)

I like that! Last year I was sitting on an old laog and a doe walk right in front of we while i was decked out in flourescent orange. I took a shot at her and she still didn't know I was there! If I hit here she might have though :-\...

brokennock

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 09:34:45 pm »
  Like I said in my earlier reply, it doesn't NEED to look like sticks'n'stuff, just break up the human outline and be quiet. That said, I find if someone feels hidden they will sit/stand still longer. Keeping still and downwind is more important than specific camo pattern. Floro orange and "flaming pink" will work if it breaks up your human outline and you stay still. Look at all the deer killed each year by hunters in "hunter orange." Your own confidence is key. If you feel invisable you'll be confident and less likely to let your guard down and start fidgeting.
  Here in CT. where we have to share public land with non-hunters on what is small acreage, campared to out west, I'm not as concerned with if my "camo" hides me from game, as I am about being able to have Joe/Jane Anti-hunter walk past and not know I'm there.