Author Topic: Square to round  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Square to round
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:15:50 pm »
Ok so here is my rendition of a dowling jig I saw on Youtube a while back. had some time last night to be out in the shed with my son and tried it out. I was REALLY surprised at how well it works! I took some 3/8" square stock I've had for a while and drilled an 11/32 hole in some oak. with the bandsaw I cut just to the edge of the hole and then clamped a sawzall blade to it so the teeth were facing into the direction of the square as I was drilling it through the hole. I tapered the square stock just so it would fit inside and started drilling. you have to go at a medium pace or it tends to want to get a little friction burned. I couldn't be happier with it, especially since it cost me  nothing, just a few minutes to set it up.
Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Square to round
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:24:13 pm »
how nifty!   that is pretty cool man!  -josh  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:57:43 pm »
Now THAT is some nuclear backwoods physicist thinking.  Much respect to whoever came up with it!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline StevenT

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:18:06 pm »
This is pretty cool. I was thinking I would not be able to make a wooden shaft for an arrow since I don't have lathe, but this looks like just about anyone could make a simple shaft using this method. What did you use to turn the square stock. I am assuming probably a drill. Would it be possible to take one more picture from just a little further back so we could see the whole process?

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 06:20:33 pm »
 If I can get to it tomorow I will get a good picture of it and maybe try to do a video.
I just chucked the stock in my drill and went to town!
I think on my next one I want to try to figure out how to apply two blades, one on each side. I think it would make it trim down a bit smoother. as it is it needs some sanding but not a lot.
I didn't invent it but it was fun trying to figure it out, the logistics and all.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:13 pm »
AWESOME.  Thanks for sharing that.  I used to make shafts out of 3/8 poplar squares and planed them to round.  Wow the time this would have saved.  I'm going to have to give that a try.
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 12:01:42 am »
 That's cool!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

parspektiv

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:45:08 am »
I think this might be the video you watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDjedeJCZ0

Do you get the same diameter over the whole shaft, or does it get a bit "wavy"?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:39:29 am »
I watched those vids and a couple others. Great information.

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 12:11:21 pm »
Yes that's the video I saw. I searched and couldn't find it again. Thanks for posting it. As far as the variance in diameter I really couldn't tell. I haven't put the caliper to it yet. I think I'll try to make a pilot hole of sorts on the finished end to keep it straight on my next jig.
Mark 

P. S.  If any of you guys try this I'd love to see your version. With our powers combined maybe we could turn the world on end. Or just make some really cool arras a little cheaper.

Online Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:39:45 pm »
   I lke that, I have quite a few versions I have made and used but plan to try that one next. I use a version of that with my tablesaw instead of the saws all blade but I hate the noise. The table saw produces a beautiful fine finsih, much better than I get with my router version. The main one I use is the tenon tool from lee valley. It does a fair job but requires some finish work. The table saw method will work with any wood and gives the best finish. Steve

Offline StevenT

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »
Do you think this method could be used to flatten nodes out on cane?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 01:41:47 am »
Normally wouldn't suggest it here on the Primitive Archer site, but since you guys are going all mechanical anyway...

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/dowelmakingjig.aspx

Jim Davis--Reparrow man
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 04:21:00 am »
I'm wondering how the simple drill rig will work rounding split bamboo into round shafts....
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline mox1968

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:19:52 pm »
or you could try a veritas dowell cutter,stick in your vice chuck your stock in drill and feed through cost me around £25 or about $32 im thinking