Author Topic: stinking buckskin  (Read 11249 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: stinking buckskin
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 10:23:32 am »
lol what? if yer payin for my dinner i'll look up the price of a whole side of beef for ya.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 11:57:08 am »
like jesse said a little stink will go away with the smoke. id leave it hanging in the garage or another safe place to air out once youve smoked it. even the smoke smell can be overpowering
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 07:57:52 pm »
 Jamie is right, When I bought 3 pairs of smoked, brain tanned moose mocassins in Manitoba, I left them in my hotel room. The next afternoon when I came in from work, I could smell them all the way down the hallway. I had my fingertips crossed going through customs on the way home, you could smell my luggage 20' away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline deersled

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »
been out of town for a little while. I believe it may just be hide and brain smell. I don't think anything spoiled. Yes, I membraned and grained it real good. Still haven't got around to smoking it. and as I said, they came out real soft. do you guys ever worry about messing with the brains. my wife is starting to get a little squirmish about me playin in the slurry.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 08:57:26 pm »
I aint no Scientist or CDC Doctor...but it always made me wonder about playing in them too....with Crutchfeld Jacobs Disease...Mad Cow Disease...and Chronic Wasting Disease...all being the Same Disorder...but in Different Animals..... If I touch the Brains of a deer ...I wear Full Arm Rubber Gloves.....While CWD has never been proven to transfer to people...... the human equivalent (Crutchfeld-Jacob Disease) really sucks...... so it’s better safe than sorry.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 12:37:09 am »
I don't make skin contact with the brains until after i mix them with some water and bring then to a boil.
 Been brain tanning off and on 10 years and don't reckon i got no disease from brains, unless thats why i have that weird bump on my butt that looks like a nipple ???
Mililani Hawaii

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 12:38:50 am »
                                                       Jesse......Too Much Information............ :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 07:18:44 am »
There have been cases of MCD crossing the species barrier and causing CJD in humans who ate tainted beef, so it may also be possible for CWD to do it as well, but it has never been documented.  I beleve it's actually necessary to ingest the protien though, so as long as your not getting the stuff in you mouth, it shouldn't be an issue.  A form of CJD called Kuru, and MCD are both transmitted through healthy individuals eating infected individuals.  With humans, through cannibalism and with livestock, through feeding byproducts like meat and bone meal.  CWD was kind of a mystery, as it involves wild herbivores, but they now believe the infection is shed through saliva and waste, contaminating the vegetation.  Animals outside of the deer family, but housed alongside infected deer, have not been shown to contract the disease, nor has it been seen in carnivores that prey upon deer.  All the diseases are caused by prions, which are renegade protiens that take over the cells machinery to reproduce themselves.  They are even simpler than a virus, and are unaffected by cooking.  Scientists believe that they all arose originally from genetic mutations, as there are known genetic forms of the diseases, but in some cases, the defective protiens are able to replicate themselves if ingested by another animal.  CWD occurs in the brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes of deer, but you can safely eat the other parts.  MCD transmitted to humans is believed to be the resullt of nervous tissue incorporated into hambuger.  I would say, keep your gloves on, and don't get it in your mouth, whether or not it's been cooked yet.  JMHO  Jude
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 08:17:41 am »
Now how and the World do you keep all parts of the Lymph System out of the Venison You Process?? I am all Ears here...because I process all of my own...don't believe in paying someone to make Steaks ...Roasts and Burger out of my Deer......
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:15 pm »
When I was reading about it, it stated lymph nodes, so I don't believe you have to worry about the whole lymph system.  I'm not sure where they're all located, but I've never really noticed them when cutting up an animal, at least not in the meat.  Never paid much attention to all the gristly parts I didn't intend to eat.  Could be an issue if you boil down the head for soup.  I guess if you live in an infected area, you might want to forego the "use every bit of the animal" approach.  I remember my aunt making head cheese from pigs.  I think that had lymph nodes and brains in it. :P
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 01:03:18 pm »
You will find them in between the layers of the hind quarter and under the front shoulders,I always take them out when I am cutting up the meat.They ant hard to find if you just look.They are about
the size of your thumb nail,looks like a marble,nasty looking so I have been removing them for years ,even before I knew what they were. :) I don't guess our deer have any real problems ,so I don't worry about it.I have been eating it for years and other than being about half crazy I have seen no ill effects. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good