Author Topic: My Fathers Cancer Surgery/Latest Update for All My Friends  (Read 22483 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
My Fathers Cancer Surgery/Latest Update for All My Friends
« on: January 16, 2010, 06:17:36 pm »
All my Friends here knew that My Father had Prostate Cancer that They tried to Cure with Radiation Therapy....well They killed the Cancer in His Prostate ...and in the Process gave Him Bladder Cancer from excess radiation! Well He has been undergoing Chemotherapy for the last 5 Months....which killed the Cancer in the Bladder...but also made it entirely Useless...So He was Scheduled for a Cystectomy on Friday (Bladder Removal and the fitting of a Bag)

He went under Anesthesia at 7 am yesterday morning...was in Surgery for 7 1/2 hours...2 hours longer than expected.  Everything was going well until they dissected a piece of His Intestines to make the Stoma (a tube that connects the two kidneys to the Abdomen where the Bag is placed)....When they dissected the Intestins...He started Hemorrhaging ...and they could not get it under control due to the Damage from all of the Radiation from His Prostate Cancer Treatments....They gave Him 14 units of Blood and 4 units of Platelets before They finally got the Bleeding to stop....He about bled out on the Table...My Stepmother called Me at 2 pm to let me know that He made it...barely...and was being brought to the ICU for the Night....She called Me about an Hour ago...and told Me that They moved my Dad into His own Room at Noon...and that when He woke up this Morning He was already telling the Doctors that He was ready to get the Hell out of there and go Home! ...I talked to Him...He sounded weak...but in very Good Spirits...and told Me that They want to keep Him for a Week...but He had bet Them that They would be letting Him go in 4....now that sounds like my Dad!!

They also said that everything else looked OK...besides all of the Radiation Damage...and that They had removed all of the Local Lymphnodes and sent them off to Pathology ...but expected them to come back Negative...by the Looks of them.... So I am praying that everything goes well and they will let Him go Home earl next week....He is going to have to learn how to do a lot of things differently now...and to live with the Stoma and Bag....it's not going to be easy...but He is a fighter...and at 72...He is in better shape than I am......... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Frode

Re: My Fathers Cancer Surgery/Latest Update for All My Friends
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 06:30:39 pm »
Glad to hear he's doing better, El.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:34:01 pm »
Sounds  like his  cancer  metastacized,  radiation  doesn't  cause  cancer in  a few  months  of treatment, at  72  he probably  has a  host  of  other conditions  that have  exacerbated surgery, at  72  major  surgery  has lots  of risks, I'm sure the  medical  team did everything they  could,
good  luck  to  your  father

zeNBowyer
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 06:59:18 pm »
Mike you and your family have my prayers and well wishes, I lost both my parents to cancer so I know the helpless feel;ing that one feels as you watch a loved one suffer. I met your dad and I have to say I liked him, he's struck me as the kinda gut that speaks his mind which and tells ya exactly whats on his mind :) Sounds like he may be a worse patient than me ;D M last surgery I was in the elavator with an IV my arm and a nurse chasing me >:D Hope to see your dad again this summer at the Salmon derby :) Best wishes from a fellow Yooper eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »
Glad to hear he is doing a little better. If you can visit him and keep his spirit up he will be even better.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »
Glad he made it through Mike.  I will keep praying for him.  I know what you mean about being a fighter, and I guess it runs in my family too(i.e. Mackenzie).  My father had his 5th heart attack 6 years ago...they told all the family to come see him because he wasn't leaving the hospital alive... well a week later he walked out on his own and 6 years later was able to see my daughter born.  Point being, there is something to be said for being stubborn.  I hope he makes the transition well to living a little differently.
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 07:30:23 pm »
Sounds  like his  cancer  metastacized,  radiation  doesn't  cause  cancer in  a few  months  of treatment, at  72  he probably  has a  host  of  other conditions  that have  exacerbated surgery, at  72  major  surgery  has lots  of risks, I'm sure the  medical  team did everything they  could,
good  luck  to  your  father

zeNBowyer

His Prostate Cancer was 5 years ago....not a Few Months.... Diagnosed with Bladder Cancer last Spring...They went in and removed all of the Tumors that They could...then treated Him with BCG Bladder Cancer Treatment....that didn't work....so they started Him on Chemo and decided that the Bladder had to be removed and He had no other alternatives due to the Damage done from the Radiation.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:30:57 pm »
Thank You guys.... He needs all of the Prayers he can get
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »
Mike ,glad to hear its coming around for the better now.
he will be in mine and my wifes thoughts,good luck on a fast recovery and better health in the future for him.
72 is not all that old,and hes got many years left i am sure.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »
Nate..how is that Sweetheart of Yours??
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:49:41 pm »
Mike, glad to hear that he's doing better. I lost my dad to cancer a few years ago, it's not a fun thing to go through. Sounds like he's got the right attitude.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 07:55:08 pm »
Thanks Steve....and Yes...He does have the Right Attitude for a Survivor...so does My Wife....When they removed that 12 inch Tumor from Her Colon...and over two more foot of Her Colon damned near to Her Rectum...When She came to....She told Me ... Calm down.... It was only Cancer...They cut it out...I'll be Fine....and so far almost 4 years later....She is!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 08:00:17 pm »
She is outstanding Mike!!!  Doing great at home and being a normal baby.  To look at her you'd never think she ever had anything wrong with her... ;D ;D ;D

Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 08:03:57 pm »
She is outstanding Mike!!!  Doing great at home and being a normal baby.  To look at her you'd never think she ever had anything wrong with her... ;D ;D ;D

Thats Fantastic to hear....man Medicine has come so far since I was a Kid...my Neighbors Girl was Born with the same disorder that Mackenzie had...and She is still Wheelchair bound....that is Awesome News....God Bless this sweet little Girl.......
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 08:05:18 pm »
glad to hear your wife is doing well too Mike
attitude has alot to do with a good recovery,and i agree.sounds like your pops has the right one

ntd, now that is a very cute baby.dont miss out on anything as shes growing up.it happens so fast,before ya know it she'll be an adult.
i spent many many days being the parent in the neighborhood that played street hockey,roller blading,football etc etc
with my sons and all the other kids in the hood.damn glad i did too.
your gonna love every minute of it ;)

peace,
                                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd