Author Topic: 4 legs of sinew  (Read 2847 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

4 legs of sinew
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:38 pm »
Went ice fishing today, and took note of a road-killed mulie calf on the shoulder of the road.  By the time I'd given up on catching any bow skins, I mean fish, I'd decided to harvest some leg sinew, which was pretty easy with a filleting knife.  I didn't totally dismember the guy, just took the tendons off the lower legs.

Do I have enough sinew to back a 68" bow?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: 4 legs of sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »
I dont think you will have enough. maybe for one thin and I mean thin layer. Especially if it is of a yearling mulie.  I may have some good elk sinew for the right trade though.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:09:06 pm »
Thanks Tell, I'm hypothesizing more than anything.  If I decide I *have* to do it, I'll be in touch, but I'm skeptical I have anything you want!

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:54 am »
Went ice fishing today, and took note of a road-killed mulie calf on the shoulder of the road.  By the time I'd given up on catching any bow skins, I mean fish, I'd decided to harvest some leg sinew, which was pretty easy with a filleting knife.  I didn't totally dismember the guy, just took the tendons off the lower legs.

Do I have enough sinew to back a 68" bow?
Short answer is no. Usually takes at least a couple of deer worth of sinew to back a bow. Why do you want to back a 68" bow with sinew anyway? Sinew excels with much shorter bows.  ;D

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:08:46 pm »
Don't know why ya want to sinew any bow above 60" long.

But 4 legs is not enough for me on a 60".

Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:57:44 pm »
The boys are right monkeyman! That length is a waste of sinew. Jay Massey liked short as in 54,56 and 58 inch bows for sinewing. I shot and had a chance to buy one of his in Michigan back in the eighties. That is my big regret in archery!

Anyway, i Idid sinew a snakey osage that is 67" long, pretty sluggish to say the least! If you need some more leg sinew, keep me in mind, I have alot .

One question tho, did you get the loins off that mulie? Hate to see good meat go to waste!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 07:05:23 pm »
Thanks a lot for the input guys, much appreciated.

Yeah, after I asked this question, I even asked myself why I would sinew a bow that long...  Anyways, as a newb, I'm excited to try everything out, I need to relax a bit and be more patient.  Besides, I will <hopefully> have a shooter before long, and I'll need that sinew to put together some arrows!

Bullit, I was wondering afterwards about the loins... It's been unseasonably warm up here for the last few days, hovering at or just below the freezing point.  Not knowing how long the deer had been dead, I don't know if the meat would be spoiled or not.  But perhaps being on the surface of the body, the loins would cool enough to be OK?

And then there's the hide, coulda made some rawhide...  Then there's the hooves, coulda made some glue...  Then there's the eyeballs, coulda made my wife scream next time she goes into her sock drawer...

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:45 pm »
yeah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. Those 3 guys always like to mess with ya! ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:48:45 pm »
yeah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. Those 3 guys always like to mess with ya! ;D

aent those the orignal first names of the stooges  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd