Author Topic: perfect tiller for pyramid bow  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Dave 55

Re: perfect tiller for pyramid bow
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 01:34:14 pm »
At least he doesnt have a more open stance. ;D
Now is the good old days

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 05:32:19 pm »
Dana, i see your new signature line.did you quite smoking recently?
if so good for you. ;) :)

it three yrs next month on my b-day for me ;D

Sure did Tim 7 days today, I finally quit because "I" wanted too not because other people wanted me too ::)
Feel down right fiesty ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »
Good for You Dana...now you only have 20 years to go to get to where I am Today..... >:D....Hey it only gets easier...and things start to smell and taste a whole lot better as you go too...and you and your House will smell better also....... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »
I quit smoking two years ago this May one of the hardest things I have ever done... Congrats Dana!  Don't give in to temptation it is totally worth it!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 07:16:30 pm »
Dana, i see your new signature line.did you quite smoking recently?
if so good for you. ;) :)

it three yrs next month on my b-day for me ;D

Sure did Tim 7 days today, I finally quit because "I" wanted too not because other people wanted me too ::)
Feel down right fiesty ;D

well god for you,that the only way its gonna stick too.if you want to quit
3 yrs last x-mas i told myself by my b-day i was gonna do it.i was tired of the smell,taste and cost.got my mmind prepared for it and by my b-day
it was a piece of cake.i will tell ya this,you WILL have days that you want one,but kust take them days one hour at  a time,then those days get farther and farthe apart.
you can do it,were all cheering for ya brother.heres to a long life
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 07:19:42 pm »
Haven't been allowed to smoke in da the house in years, food has always tasted great, just tastes a little better now. Just got done with a nice perch fry
and damn was it good ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline scp

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 07:33:07 pm »
DanaM, thanks. But I don't see much reasoning there, other than that the pyramid style bows are many times made with little or no thickness taper. I guess that would make the tiller naturally circular. Does that mean a pyramid style bow has to be made without thickness taper to be optimal?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 07:41:03 pm »
scp I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer that question. But in theory I believe a perfect pyramid bow will not require any thickness taper and hence
as you say you end up with a nive circular tiller. Sure wish badger would weigh in on this as I'm sure he could explain it.
I do realize there is no "ONE" perfect tiller it all depends on the bow and what one is after.

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 08:09:18 pm »
  A pyramid bow is one of the easiest and best bows around. If the pyramid is equal thickness it should have an arc of the circle tiller all wood bending equal. If you want to optimize it you can play with it a bit. For instance if your draw is 26" and the bow is 68" long you may want to add some thickness taper also and get the limbs working a bit more to the outside for a slight improvement. If you have a shorter bow say 60" and a draw of 28" you may even put a slight reverse taper on the thickness for a bit more bend close to the fade and a little more energy storage. Pyramid by itself is just fine. Lots of us make slight variations of the pyramid. Steve

Offline scp

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »
DanaM, the mass principle appears to say that we should make tips much lighter as they store much less energy than other working parts. Anyhow there might be too many variables in bow making for us to expect "one perfect tiller" profile even for each specific styles. But that does not mean we cannot rely on the heuristics. I just thought you might wanna share your reasoning with us.